EliteTrader: Charge $500/year

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by EtfTrader, May 12, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

You wouldn't. If you started the thread, you would only pay to open the thread. After that you could post all you wanted at no cost since it is your thread. You will actually get paid for helping others. Every view of your thread earns you a penny and every post on your thread earns you a nickel. Might not sound like much but if you start quality threads, you could have hundreds of posts and thousands of page views. You follow?

#21     May 12, 2004
  2. that get rd o' all YOU loooo hooo zers haha :D

#22     May 12, 2004
  3. Yes... I'm talking about a thread like this:

Originator: "Help! What API is best for a datafeed?" -- $1.
    Me: "Try feed x. They are the best." -- I pay 5 cents?
    You: "Feed y is great too." -- you pay 5 cents?

We are paying to help the guy. Unless I have your structure wrong?

#23     May 12, 2004
  4. Maverick74

Maverick74

OK, I see what you are saying. I'll have to work on that. LOL. Maybe we can have help threads where if you help a person with a problem, you generate cash credits.

So in that case, the originator pays a dollar to start a thread where he asks a question. Now you post an answer, you get a nickel credit. I also respond, I get a nickel credit. The originator doesn't pay to keep posting. These threads would fall under some kind of help category. This system would reward those who went out of their way to help people with problems. So these threads would be different then the commentary threads. I don't know, that's my best guess. I still like this system because it's self serving and self regulating.

#24     May 12, 2004
  5. taigong

taigong

I posted the original during the market hours in a hurry. Actually I meant to say that thread poster will get paid, as you said, for people who poste contructive postes and for those who proffer advice, such as TraderBrad for a higher fee, lol.

Or people who rely to Help threads will get paid (that's why I said credit), which will address richtrader's concern.

Details of debit/credit scale obviously can be worked out. Anyway, if it costs something to post, it will eliminate a lot of crap.

#25     May 12, 2004
  6. You folks do not have a clue. A pay room will not be profitable compared to advertising revenue generated in a public site.

This has been tested over and over again and a typical classroom study.

Baron has the right idea (I do not know Baron, but I call him by his first name).

Michael B.

#26     May 13, 2004
  7. The more posts the more times you have to go to the next page
    and see a new ad at the top of the page and get brainwashed
    into opening an account at eSignal or whatever. This is where it
    is at. So with my post here, I helped to generate more ads you
    all can see and get brainwashed by... :D

#27     May 13, 2004
  8. cable

cable

A pay site won't fix anything except guarantee ET a better class of buttheads. Only the snooty rich buttheads will be able to post. But you'll still have buttheads, who will not be as "kickable" because they've PAID to be here, which should give them some rights to do whatever they want... and of course the vendors will pay to be here, to them it's an investment in forum spamming...

The real solution, assuming there actually IS a problem (which I don't personally see), is to get another site working based on Slashcode. Then readers will be able to moderate posts up or down based on quality, and users will be able to befriend other posters and assign their "friends" a higher ranking, and their "enemies" a lower ranking. Thus, you'll never have to read a post from a butthead again unless others think it's extremely good and moderate it up to your threshold.

Of course, I noticed that ET has something called an "Ignore List", which I assume serves a similar function. If you don't like somebody, put them on ignore, and you'll never have to hear a dissenting opinion or lamer post ever again!

#28     May 13, 2004
  9. nitro

nitro

Why overcomplicate things?

These two rules will work:

1) You need to use a credit card to register. You will be charged $.01 to register, or whatever the minimum is.

2) That credit card can only be used once.

Done.

nitro

#29     May 13, 2004
  10. Maverick74

Maverick74

That won't work. Won't it cost Baron a certain amount for each credit card use? I believe there is a transaction fee for each credit card transaction. So Baron would have to charge people at least that amount. Probably 1.50 or so.

#30     May 13, 2004