Elite Trader Wishlist

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Baron, Sep 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magna

Magna Administrator

> I suggest that you impose a 15 min. limit after
    > which the option to edit would expire.

Ok, that's been done. The time limit for editing is now 15 minutes.

Limiting the edit capability seems to be of dubious value at best. Sure, for that lone individual posting his daily trades to create a public track record it might be of value. But for everyone else it sure is useful to go back and correct mistakes, add to posts instead of having to create new ones each time, etc. I strongly vote for the return of unlimited editing.

#21     Nov 14, 2001
  2. sallyboy

sallyboy Guest

How about a compromise on the edit function? Why not have a time stamp showing when the original text was posted and a time stamp for the edit(s)? Or if this is not possible, how about just a single updated time stamp? In that way, that time would be out of chronological order relative to the later posts and it would be clear that an edit was made. Or maybe a notation to indicate an edit has been made?

Just some suggestions, although I really have no problem with not being able to edit my posts after 15 minutes since I usually have to just make typo corrections, etc.

#22     Nov 14, 2001
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Magna,

Considering that you can preview a post before you submit it, spellcheck capability is available, and you have 15 minutes after submission to correct any errors you may have missed, I think there's plenty of opportunity to make post corrections.

From a priority standpoint, I think it's more important to hold a member accountable for what they wrote than allow them to go back later and change the content of their post or delete it completely.

I understand your point about being able to go back and add content to a particular post, but I think that's less important than the accountability issue.

Sallyboy,

The notation functionality for edits has been programmed already but I always had it turned off because I really don't like posts being constantly marked up with "edited on xx-xx-xx". So I would prefer to keep that feature turned off unless it's absolutely necessary.

Adjusting only the timestamps of posts in order to reflect edits is not possible at this point.

jaan,

I'll take a look at the search highlighting problem. Thanks for bring it up.

#23     Nov 14, 2001
  4. tymjr

tymjr

Magna: “I strongly vote for the return of unlimited editing.”

I’m with Magna all the way on this one.

Baron: “From a priority standpoint, I think it's more important to hold a member accountable for what they wrote than allow them to go back later and change the content of their post.”

The necessity for accountability seems to be a non-issue. So many people visit this site at all hours of the day and night that it has been next to impossible for anyone to post something and then remove it without somebody else calling the offender on the transgression. I’ve seen it time and time, again. Hell, half the time they’ve copied and quoted you before you can even make an adjustment.

I think limiting the editing feature so that accountability can be assured doesn’t hold a candle to the convenience and necessity of being able to easily clarify or add to a post. It may only help to add excess clutter, in the form of new posts, that are simply amendments to the original. I, for one, love to be able to go back over my posts so that I can simplify my excessively obtuse explanations. I’m very sorry to see this feature getting some shiny new shackles.

#24     Nov 16, 2001
  5. Grabbit

Grabbit

It would be more practical if we could attach more than just one file per post. As it is now, if you want to attach two or more files, you have to make a post for each. Makes it all a bit messy.

#25     Nov 16, 2001
  6. >>Magna: “I strongly vote for the return of unlimited editing.”

I would also vote for the unlimited editing, we are not in a court of law and don't need accountability for our posts. This is a community giving free information and we don't need words cast in stone.

Baron:

Excellent job with the bulletin board

I would like to suggest a requirement that in order for people to create new topics/threads they should have read at least some number of messages or be a member for so many days. This will limit the number of spamers creating rooms for their baloney and it will encourage new members to read some before asking the same questions again. I've seen quite a few new threads created with the second message being go look at such and such tread.

Thanks for your effort :)

#26     Nov 17, 2001
  7. tymjr

tymjr

juggernaut: “…in order for people to create new topics/threads they should have read at least some number of messages or be a member for so many days.”

That’s a great idea.

#27     Nov 17, 2001
  8. How about a communities area, where traders in a certain geographic area can arrange to meet or set up activities. Most of us have anonymous ID's and few indicate where they live.

I, for one, would enjoy meeting fellow traders once in a while, if just to have dinner, drinks or some other informal activity.

#28     Nov 17, 2001
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

It would be more practical if we could attach more than just one file per post. As it is now, if you want to attach two or more files, you have to make a post for each. Makes it all a bit messy.

Currently, web browsers only let you select one file at a time.

I would also vote for the unlimited editing, we are not in a court of law and don't need accountability for our posts. This is a community giving free information and we don't need words cast in stone.

I couldn't disagree more, but for the sake of fairness, I've put up a poll so the issue can be voted on:

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=2936

I would like to suggest a requirement that in order for people to create new topics/threads they should have read at least some number of messages or be a member for so many days.

I'm a little hesitant on that one because many members register because they want to post a comment right on the spot.

Nevertheless I'll run a poll, probably tomorrow, to get a feel for the general consensus on this issue. Thanks for the suggestion.

How about a communities area, where traders in a certain geographic area can arrange to meet or set up activities. Most of us have anonymous ID's and few indicate where they live.

Sound great...if people actually used it. My concern is that if people won't even put their location in their profiles, why would they participate in a geographically catered area of the site? There's probably a way to encourage participation, it's just a matter of figuring out what that is.

#29     Nov 18, 2001
  10. limbo

limbo

I agree with Baron--15 min. is ample time to post your thoughts-and one must be held accountable for those words. If you want to make a change-write a new post.

#30     Nov 18, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.