Elite Trader Wishlist

Discussion in 'Feedback' started by Baron, Sep 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dustin

Dustin

Thought of a good one. Often I want to reply to a post, but not "quote" them. In this case I have to open a new browser to see that post so I can refer to it. It would be nice to have a "reply" button next to the "quote" button. When you click "reply" you will be in the same Post Reply screen as usual, but it will also show the post you are replying to on the bottom for you to refer to.

#11     Oct 10, 2001
  2. Baron

Baron ET Founder

tom_p and ddefina,

I agree. The brokers ratings need to be authenticated by the membership system. I've put it on my list of stuff that needs to be done.

nemo,

You can now adjust the number of messages displayed by going to your account at http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/member.php?action=editoptions and adjust the option labeled "Default posts per thread".

vikana,

1. The home page will now automatically refresh every five minutes.

2. Regarding the spellchecker database, I would like to encourage all members to actively use the "Add" feature for any trading lingo like SuperSoes, etc. If everybody will add these words as they are identified by the spellchecker, it shouldn't be too long at all before the database has been brought up to speed.

3. Preserving the case on spelling errors has been put on my list as a low priority task. Thanks

Dustin,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll definitely work on that.

#12     Oct 14, 2001
  3. Baron

Baron ET Founder

WarEagle,

A chat room is now more of a possibility now that we are on a new server. I'll be investigating the available options over the next few weeks.

Regarding being notified of private messages, you can a have a box pop up automatically to notify of you new messages no matter where you are at on the boards. To enable this feature, go to your options page at http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/member.php?s=&action=editoptions and select "yes" for the option labeled "Pop up a box when you receive a private message".

jaan,

A virtual message area is now available which shows all of the threads you have subscribed to. You can see these threads by going to your account at http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/usercp.php

By the way, you subscribe to a thread in two ways:

1. by participating in it and electing to be notified via email when other posts are submitted.

2. by clicking on the word "subscribing" at the bottom of the thread. This is used for being notified of new posts to threads that you haven't actually participated in.

gh1,

A home link is now at the bottom of every page. Thanks.

#13     Oct 14, 2001
  4. Is it possible to send a daily "digest?" Summary of new messages posted each day. I find it difficult to monitor so many threads and remember where I left off. I love this board, an find it quite helpful. But I don't want to spend THAT much time here :)

#14     Nov 12, 2001
  5. sallyboy

sallyboy Guest

Baron,

Is it possible to add the "directory/sub-directory" menu to the bottom of each thread page? I'm not sure what it's called but if you look near the top left of each page under the Elite Trader logo there is a directory listing of where you are on the boards. What I'd like is to have that show up at the bottom on whatever page it appears at the top so after reading the lower posts of a thread I can just click up a directory without having to scroll back to the top. (the text I'm referring to goes like this for the page I'm on now for example: Home>>Elite Trader>>Feedback>>Elite Trader Wishlist)

I've tried using the "Forum Jump" selection box to get back to "Trading" (for example) if I'm in a "Trading" thread, but it doesn't work. It only works to jump to a different area than the one you are currently in. So I end up scrolling back to the top and clicking on "Trading" to get back to the main "Trading" board.

Thanks for considering it.

~Sal

#15     Nov 13, 2001
  6. Grabbit

Grabbit

:cool: That's cool Baron, thanks.

#16     Nov 13, 2001
  7. It might be a good idea to create a separate section for trading journals. I don't usually read them, since I prefer abstract, theoretical discussions about trading to someone's 'mental masturbation' as Magna put it, but there are obviously things people are learning from these journals, especially Hitman's.

Those who post there could have their own threads, those who don't want to waste other people's time with detailed descriptions of their own entries and exits would have less reservations about doing so if there was a section specifically for that purpose, and those who aren't interested can easily ignore such threads as they would no longer clutter up the updated thread list in the Trading forum.

voodoo

#17     Nov 13, 2001
  8. One more suggestion:

Some posters are abusing the Edit feature. They post something then edit long after others already had responded. This is unfair to the respondents - a change of context alters the meaning of their posts. This often will occur during heated debates such as some of the recent threads in the Professional forum.

I suggest that you impose a 15 min. limit after which the option to edit would expire. That's how the edit feature works on Silicon Investor, and it seems to work pretty well. Most posters use the edit feature to correct typos or other mistakes, those are noticed usually soon after posting, if they're noticed at all, so an edit feature with a 15 min limit would still be useful.

voodoo

#18     Nov 13, 2001
  9. Baron

Baron ET Founder

Is it possible to send a daily "digest?"

The only way that would happen is if we got a long-term sponsor for the outgoing digest emails, or this board turned into a subscription based service (not likely).

Is it possible to add the "directory/sub-directory" menu to the bottom of each thread page?

Yeah, that shouldn't be too difficult. I'll put that one on my to-do list.

It might be a good idea to create a separate section for trading journals.

I've thought about that as well, but I still don't have a strong opinion one way or the other at this point. I'll have to think about that one a little more.

I suggest that you impose a 15 min. limit after which the option to edit would expire.

Ok, that's been done. The time limit for editing is now 15 minutes.

Thanks for the suggestions everybody.

#19     Nov 13, 2001
  10. jaan

jaan

thanks for the improvements!

1. i would appreciate an option to subscribe to threads WITHOUT receiving email notifications. i really like the subscription idea, but to avoid the distraction of incoming email notifications i use it very sparsely. i understand though that this is difficult to implement without confusing the interface, as the subscription mechanism currently uses the email notification checkbox.

2. the search highlighting (ie the 'highlight=' parameter) should be passed on to next pages when navigating the thread.

- jaan

#20     Nov 14, 2001
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.