Elite Trader School

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by longandshort, Jul 13, 2021.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

Also what I posted was a 100% price move and a 66.6 or 2/3rds points per day move.

We don't need no stinkin' fibs - in this case.

Gann said use all the tools all the time.

I use funnymentals when looking at the bigger longer picture. Just not when I am trading.

Who trades (I'm talking small self-directed type) over months and years. No one I know. Especially with the continual uncertainty we all face.

If this is all about investors on Elite Trader Forum - my question is ... why?

#61     Jul 15, 2021
  2. Geez you haven't read many papers before, have you? It's a student research paper under supervision of a professor. Formal hypothesis testing follows a specific format so you can review their methods and findings. I suppose you prefer zodiac symbols, though.

You should read this book (but you won't lol) Amazon.com: Evidence-Based Technical Analysis: Applying the Scientific Method and Statistical Inference to Trading Signals (9780470008744): Aronson, David: Books

#62     Jul 15, 2021
  3. Trading is speculation about what investors will do.

#63     Jul 15, 2021
    newwurldmn likes this.
  4. SunTrader

SunTrader

Have read, thank you. It's a good one.

He actually trades, not pontificates.

#64     Jul 15, 2021
  5. SunTrader

SunTrader

:D no it isn't.

If I trade an eMini or two or ten for the next couple of minutes/hours I couldn't care less what investors are thinking about next quarter or year or decade.

That might be the way YOU trade. In case you hadn't noticed one size does not fit all when it comes to traders.

#65     Jul 15, 2021
  6. Then you missed the entire point of his book, which is that there is little to no predictive value in technical indicators.

If you are trading, the best price signal is momentum. In fact, I provided a link to a great paper which details methods that can improve your trend analysis (buy with the trend, buy dips in the trend, etc.). Which Trend Is Your Friend? by Ari Levine, Lasse Heje Pedersen :: SSRN

#66     Jul 15, 2021
  7. You are making an implicit bet that there will be someone for you to sell to at a price better than what you bought it at. What would drive that behavior? If a price is falling, why wouldn't it continue to fall? There must be a perception of value or a characteristic about a future buyer/seller that drives your action. Otherwise, you are just admitting that it's random.

#67     Jul 15, 2021
  8. SunTrader

SunTrader

I said I read. I didn't say I agreed with all the book has to say:-

My broken clock was right again - in this case NDX:-
    NDX.png

#68     Jul 15, 2021
  9. lol this is also what the book warned against -- overfitting data lol. How about you make the next 10 trades using fibs and then tell me what the win/loss ratio was. Also, your timeframe looks really long for a "trader"....:rolleyes:

#69     Jul 15, 2021
  10. SunTrader

SunTrader

Of course I am. But that buyer may be just like me - looking to get in and get out. And based on volume/open interest numbers - very likely.

#70     Jul 15, 2021