Elite Trader School

Discussion in 'Educational Resources' started by longandshort, Jul 13, 2021.

1. SunTrader

SunTrader

If the teacher actually knows how to fish - and not just the theory of how to.

#131     Jul 17, 2021
    KCalhoun likes this.
  2. SunTrader

SunTrader

Once again assume much?

You have no idea how much I lever or effective my edge is or the varience of my pnl.

But got a question, define risk.

I think I posted my thoughts of it on a topic recently. Believe I got no response so I take it (assuming, maybe incorrectly) no one agreed with it or thought much of it.

#132     Jul 17, 2021
  3. It’ll speed up, promise!

#133     Jul 17, 2021
    kmiklas likes this.
  4. There’s two ways to define risk. It can represent total capital loss or it can represent the probability of hitting a goal.

#134     Jul 17, 2021
    Van_der_Voort_4 likes this.
  5. ajensen

ajensen

Thanks for this. The CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) curriculum could be of interest, although it covers accounting in more detail than most traders need. What about the topics of derivatives -- futures and options?

#135     Jul 17, 2021
  6. userque

userque

Based on your post, and out of curiosity, I did a search on that document to see how many times the root word 'predict' appeared, and in what context.

#136     Jul 17, 2021
    kmiklas likes this.
  7. The CFA is great for those seeking a career in the field, but that's a 3-year commitment. This is meant to be a couple of weeks of readings to have a foundational grasp of market concepts. I may do a follow up with more advanced equity and macro trading items.

I will leave a derivatives primer to @destriero / @Same Lazy Element / @newwurldmn / @taowave and others who are domain experts. Maybe @globalarbtrader or other systematic traders can put something together a primer for systematic/HFT style trading.

#137     Jul 19, 2021
  8. newwurldmn

newwurldmn

CFa is a three year commitment but it’s really a few weeks of reading a like 3 months of practice exams.

I advised my cousin against doing it and she did it anyway. It helped her move from the mid office to the front office and now she’s a PM at CALPERS. (So I gave her pretty crappy advice)

#138     Jul 19, 2021
    longandshort likes this.
  9. SunTrader

SunTrader

Expand a little please.

Total capital loss and not just partial is a form of risk?

The probability of hitting a goal is another form of risk? o_O

#139     Jul 20, 2021
  10. Total capital loss is the risk that you lose your entire investment (or more if levered). The probability of hitting a goal is based upon the variation in prices.
    upload_2021-7-20_9-37-42.png
    upload_2021-7-20_9-39-49.png

In the textbook I linked to, they review the types of risks in greater detail including how to measure them:

upload_2021-7-20_9-31-53.png

#140     Jul 20, 2021