Elite Trader is not IB

Discussion in 'Events' started by Baron, Oct 23, 2001.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Baron, you are running a great service here, but in my opinion, you are on the wrong side of this issue. Censorship is most usually a real bad area to pursue. You're comments may serve to intimidate some who would otherwise contribute conversation that could be helpful to many people. Speaking for myself, and I'm sure many others, the information found on Elite Trader has been extremely helpful.

Baron, we all understand that Elite Trader is not a "sales and support forum for Interactive Brokers." In hindsight, could you not agree that that kind of rhetoric may be overstating this alleged "problem?" If other brokers can compete with IB in the areas that we deem important, we will be glad to discuss them fully, also. Your statements seem to imply that if a company is discussed extensively, then that company should advertise to support ET. I hope your actions were not taken due to pressures from your current advertisers.

I've always been under the impression that this board is truly an open forum, as long as extreme vulgarity isn't used and the discussions are directed toward trading.

Concerning Def, this guy has been a tremendous asset to the discussions here and I would think has been a "draw" for Elite Trader. In other words, I believe Def has caused many people to use the Elite Trader web site and therefore view the ads that do appear here (even though the ads aren't for Interactive Brokers).

Now, having said all that, let me say that about 99% of the time, Baron's judgment has been very much in line with that of a very reasonable and prudent indvidual. (And how many of us can say that about ourselves? Wish I could!!) I just believe that he is off base on this one. These are my impressions and opinions.

Good trading everyone!!!

BSAM

#21     Oct 24, 2001
  2. white

white

Baron,

I think you’re absolutely right. When I first came here I thought the only traders here were IB traders.

#22     Oct 24, 2001
  3. ddefina

ddefina

I found out about IB from this site, and am impressed with the company listening to opinions expressed on this public forum. If they were all private opinions others wouldn't benefit. Since IB is benefiting many traders, it is being discussed and others can get in on a good thing. If they start to fail, we'll all know and they will disappear like Cybercorp and Schwab from discussion. I think conversation of whatever is working best for traders should be encouraged, since that peaks other traders interests, and they join the forum.

Since IB does get benefit from this forum I do think they should support the site in some way to sustain this positive outlet for themselves.

#23     Oct 24, 2001
  4. Ultimately, the more traffic we get at Elite the better for Baron and crew. Maybe a solution is to offer sponsored forums for brokers and others who want to access the incredible customer base of this site. That would benefit everyone.

#24     Oct 24, 2001
  5. I see Baron and IB benefitting. IB is getting a lot of credibility among an important customer segment, and they could have no finer public face than def. I really disagree that he is here promoting IB in an inapproriate manner however. He is a big asset for the site and no doubt attracts a lot of traffic here, as does the active IB user base. If other brokers have a problem, why don't they detail someone like def to monitor the boards and respond to questions.

I really prefer the topic posts used here rather than the SI model of one humongous thread devoted to IB. You have to plow through dozens of irrelevant posts from hobbyists chatting to each other. Here there is a base of active traders and important threads are readily apparent. Stupid ones fade quickly.

Still, Baron has bills to pay. It wouldn't kill IB to throw some bread his way.

#25     Oct 24, 2001
  6. i dont get it.. if def, rtharp, hitman, praetorian, tony oz and other contributors are restricted from posting due to their various affiliations who will make elitetrader worth reading? i can see a need to better organize the IB posts, but i think its a mistake to run def off.. def adds value to elitetrader.. if other brokers would participate on the board they also would add value.. if anything you should be thanking these people for making your board better for everyone.. just my opinion..

-qwik

#26     Oct 24, 2001
  7. Who would benefit from an IB-free board? The users, who can't discuss and freely exchange information? The advertisers, whose banners go unnoticed? Those who run the forum, who lose traffic?

What word would you use to describe this forum if it weren't for all those IB-related discussions? My best guess is "dead".

#27     Oct 24, 2001
  8. gh1

gh1

I sent this email to IB Management today. Perhaps, if others are so inclined, they may do likewise.

IB Management:

I am sure you are aware of the discussion board for traders called Elite Trader: http://www.elitetrader.com/

For a long time the services of Interactive Brokers have been a topic of discussion, both praised and maligned. This will be the case in any open public forum. An individual in your company, which goes by the handle “Def” working out of Hong Kong, has represented your company with the utmost professionalism.

But I am sure you are aware of all this. I think Def and Elite Trader have added value to Interactive Brokers. This forum, which has been of great service to many of your clients, is now threatened. The moderator of the web-site, “Baron” has taken a position that, “we cannot continue providing a free support forum for a multi-national corporation like Interactive Brokers”. The full discussion can be accessed here: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?threadid=2677

I would encourage you to contact Baron, and work out some arrangement that would allow this forum to continue. I believe that it would be in your interest and that a win-win solution could be easily arranged.

Regards/greg

#28     Oct 24, 2001
  9. gemini_315

gemini_315 Guest

I think BSAM and QWIKTRADE have summed it up 100% correctly.

This is a public forum where individuals come together to discuss whatever they wish to regarding trading. Anyone and all should be allowed the freedom to speak their mind on anything trading related. It is not like IB has "set up shop" here on the forum. Individuals are choosing to discuss trading related matters of their own free will whatever they may be (IB or not).

I personally do not use IB and do not have a very good opinion of them due to the fact that they have never been able to answer the phone in a timely manner when I wanted to inquire about opening an account with them. Considering this I would hate to think what their support would be like once they have my account.

On the other hand I have a far worse opinion of censorship. I have seen both positive and negative posts for IB, and these can only be helpfull to all the traders that participate on this forum. If IB were to fall out of favor at some point, this would probably be one of the first places that this would be brought to light. At that point is everybody to refrain from bashing IB.....

This is the best forum I have ever seen for traders. Considering the huge volume of members on EliteTrader, IB should definitely consider placing a link on their site since it can only benefit their customers.

#29     Oct 24, 2001

10. You could have IB set up there own message board. or perhaps use Silicon Investor.

#30     Oct 24, 2001