Eliminating Bing and Cortana

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by DallasCowboysFan, Jun 6, 2020.

1. Is there any way to eliminate Bing from my PC?

I have downloaded Brave and Duck Duck Go.

I have no desire to use Google Chrome, Cortana or Bing.

But, when I start my laptop, Bing often pops up with a cute background photo and a nice trivia question to answer. I'm not interested in their trivia. I like the big time clock they have, but I usually know what time it is.

I have gone to Task Manager to stop all the startup processes, I have gone to programs and tried to delete everything I am not using, but I can't find Bing or Cortana.

I can't find anything under APPS.

I know MSFT makes it impossible to delete them, but how do I keep them from starting up every time I start my PC? It is something extra to X out and it delays the start time.

2. Overnight

Overnight

Switch to Chrome or Firefox, you live longer.

(You could also use regedit to search for it in your registry, and delete all entries called "bing" Use caution though, as that is your Win registry. )

jys78 and DallasCowboysFan like this.
  3. gaussian

gaussian

4. Opcodes

Opcodes

install linux like elementary os

5. Metamega

Metamega

You try control panel and uninstall? I’ve used windows 10 since release on a few machines and never see what your talking about. Also been using new Edge Chromium with nothing like that.

Nobert likes this.
  6. Turveyd

Turveyd

Also, I've got a Win 10 and support Win 10, you can switch off the Voice assistant on install, guess you can switch it off after install, Bing just ignore.

Windows Explorers have always been horrible, first time I started IE6 I got a virus, 2nd time by accident got another Virus so avoided like the plague, Chrome and Firefox for me.

jys78 likes this.
  7. I used Revo Uninstaller to remove Cortana, One Drive, and others.

DallasCowboysFan likes this.
  8. I use Firefox and Pale Moon. Have Edge disabled.

9. Turveyd

Turveyd

Never heard of PaleMoon, my Chrome thinks it's in the USA comes in handy :)

Amazon had Babylon 5 in the USA but not UK.

Win 10 is just my gaming PC, still Win 7 32bit for work / trading.

I find Win 10 updates which is also really hard to keep disabled, keep bricking PC's, 1 client HP desktops all 17 got took out all but 2 computers, 3 months later it repeated, fresh installs for all :(

This PC's won't boot, thats odd, this PC's doing an update, ohhh and it won't boot, ohhh they've all done updates and when you restart there buggered :( Knocked out Dental surgeries all over the UK which all use HP's.

Not a fan!!

10. Pale Moon is an offshoot of Firefox.

You can go into the Group Policy editor and disable Automatic Updates.. and then delay/control Windows updates manually. You can delay new versions of 10 for up to a year... give them time to fix things before they get onto your machine.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    #10     Jun 6, 2020