Elegant new ride from Mythlogic...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rickprell, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Devlin

Devlin

I'm referring to the Intel chip like the i7-2720QM in the Sager I'm looking at.

#11     Apr 11, 2011
  2. I got the 15.6 screen as 17 will be too big/bulky for my mobile applicaton. With the dual 2.7 processor, I got the basic optimus video card. If you want to do multiple chart studies, this will not work. You need to upgrade to what, I'm not sure. But if you order, you can get that all cleared up your builder. Also, email for broker's tech group to determine how high of a video card you need for what you want to do. Important, as they generated more heat taht reduces battery if you are mobile. ... Second gen refers to the next generation of intel chips, code named Sandy Bridge during the last few years, as Intel created the chipset. They discovered a flaw in design which set the released process back about 6/7 weeks after releasing for less than a week. Second gen way to go these days for building your own or buying. The combo of Clevo box with this software makes for a truly elegant ride. The bounce-back chicklet keyboard is a new discovery fr me that I really like. ... Second gen makes everything faster, more efficient. ... I do not run any monitors on this machine, but other guy does, and probably has higher end vdeo card to do that as desktop replacement.

#12     Apr 11, 2011
  3. RE: "Second generation"

Thanks for your info. When I look at the next generation of something, usually it is a break through of some sort or a complete make over.

I have been watching the Intel chip development over the years. From:

8086 / 8088
    to 80286, 80386, 80486
    then Pentium, Celeron, Core 2 Duo, etc.
    lately i3, i5, i7
    now Sandy Bridge 2600

I have not seen anybody used "Second Generation" to label the new Intel chips. Is this Sandy Bridge a big break through?

Or in laptop development... I used an old Compaq, 15 pound "portable" 15 years ago, with a 13-inch or something like that. Over the years, I saw development of IBM Thinkpad, Dell, Toshiba and HP. With bigger screen size, bigger keyboard, lighter weight, longer battery life, webcam, now hi-fi 2 channel audio, wifi, USB, DisplayPort, Blu-ray player, etc.. Again I haven't run across a "second generation laptop" label.

Hence my question. Not sure where the line was drawn. First generation versus second generation.

#13     Apr 11, 2011
  4. I allowed mysef to be rushed ths am as I was integrating platform tweak from tos, and a few other things. ... More input. 1. On Mythlogic site, I got Pollux 1411 with previous mention components. Machine has 2 3.0 ports which provide faster transfer of data speeds. Again, so far, 6300 wifi with 450 bandwith is fine, but if I see it slow down, I might move to Version 4G or similar and use one of these 3.0 ports for the plug in device. 2. 510 ssd is actually 3rd generation breakthrough hard drive in the Intel evolution of this product line. (xm 25 was previous best as far as I can tell.) Costly now, but you won't regret the speed it creates. 3. I ordered back in mid January after due diligence (research) from after Trading Expo in Vegas in mid November. Costom to my door, with Slappa 17" sleeve was around $1650. I recall. I paid cash, (3% discount) and feel with all I got plus what I get in future years with Mythlogic, I felt this was more than reasonable; especially for boutique purchase. I went to Fry'snad BB here in LA, and looked at Sony Viao, and HP machines for $1500-1700 that were not even close to costom experience. I know prices have gone up since I ordered, but in this case you/me really get what you pay for here. Also, anyone ordering carrying sleeve, get the 17" even though you order a 15.6 machine as you will need extra room for other stuff. ... 4. "Google" Sager 5160, and go to the owner's lounge on notebook forum. Read through pages for this machine. Keep in mind that these are gamers, young mostly I sense, and are looking for different things in the machine they buy. Message again here is know specifically how you will use machine, and create accordingly with site you choose, if you go costom. Questions, feel free to ask.

#14     Apr 11, 2011
  5. Boli - I got i7 dual core rather than i7 quad core as tos paltform only requires a single thread. Thus quad core is much unsued system that I pay a little more up front for ( I wouild have if it made sense for me) but goes unused, burning more heat and robbing battery. ... This Sandy Bridge, Second Gen is just an evolution of previous i3, i5, i7 you mentioned. Just much more efficient components, and well worth the price if you love elegance, like me. Other threads here, and the guy that got the beast he loves, has i9 I think, which he probably needs a seat belt and shoulder harness to strap in for! Technology is so cool... The 510 ssd is simply an upgrade of xm25 you have mentioned in previous threads. When I send machine back in a year, I'll get the latest upgrades put in as I'm not the type to do it myself.

#15     Apr 11, 2011
  6. jprad

jprad

Intel’s Second-Gen Core CPUs: The Sandy Bridge Review
    Although the processing cores in Intel’s Sandy Bridge architecture are decidedly similar to Nehalem, the integration of on-die graphics and a ring bus improves performance for mainstream users. Intel’s Quick Sync is this design’s secret weapon, though.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sandy-bridge-core-i7-2600k-core-i5-2500k,2833.html

The Intel Core i7-990X Extreme Edition Processor Review
    ...There are limited reasons you’d actually want to spend $1000 on a processor in light of Sandy Bridge’s potency. The reasons are there though, and we’ve illustrated where you can expect to see them surface…
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-990x-extreme-edition-gulftown,2874-14.html

#16     Apr 11, 2011
  7. The i9 I mentioned above in my post is a mistake. What I was referring to is i7 -9 product line mentioned directly above this post. I did look into those as well, I recall an 920/940, and I think the top line product in this category is the one the other poster published the link to. Way beyond my needs for now.

#17     Apr 12, 2011
  8. forum.notebookreview.com/sager.../548619-official-sager-np5160-clevo-w150hnq-owners-lounge.html

Just came across poster BHIMA's pretty in depth review of the machine I got, and MYTHLOGIC in general, on page 86 of this link. Screens are the same, both 8 gigs RAM. He has quad core, I have dual. He has wifi you can use Bluetooth with, I don't. ... He uses machine for a variety of tasks that trading can mirror somewhat, and goes into his tech mind-set for what he wanted in machine, and what he got after testing. Worth a look for anyone considering a mid range mobile ready laptop.

#18     Apr 12, 2011