Electronic Cigarettes- Have you tried these yet?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rearden Metal, Feb 24, 2011.

Electronic Cigarettes- Have you tried these yet?

1. I don't smoke, so this product isn't for me. (The other 4 poll options are for tobacco smokers)

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. Haven't tried it yet, don't even want to give it a chance.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Haven't tried it yet, but I would like to.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  4. Tried it, didn't like it.

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  5. Tried it, that's some good shit!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. An electronic cigarette, e-cigarette or vapor cigarette, is a battery-powered device that provides inhaled doses of nicotine or non-nicotine vaporized solution. It is an alternative to smoked tobacco products, such as a cigarette. In addition to nicotine delivery, the vapor also provides a flavor and physical sensation similar to that of inhaled tobacco smoke, although there is no tobacco, combustion or smoke present.

Most electronic cigarettes are designed to resemble cigarettes, cigars, or pipes, but some look more like ballpoint pens or screwdrivers. Most electronic cigarettes are reusable with replaceable and/or refillable parts, but disposable electronic cigarettes have also been developed.

The electronic cigarette was invented by Chinese pharmacist Hon Lik in 2003 and introduced to the market the following year. The company he worked for, Golden Dragon Holdings, changed its name to Ruyan (meaning "to resemble smoking") and started exporting its products in 2005-2006.[1]

2. Hello

Hello

Havent tried the electronic cigarette yet, but it scares the crap out of me. I am quite partial to a late night cigar in the hot tub, right before bed, after it gets cold outside. I would be extremely worried one of these electric cigarettes was going to fry my ass if i dropped it in the tub..... :D

In all seriousness, i tried those nicorette inhalers and they were brutal, basically on those things you put a canister in the inhaler they provide (which looks like a crack pipe) and you take a big wiff but no smoke comes out. It did nothing for my smoking habit.

I dont think it is the nicotine which hooks you, i think it is all the other chemicals, I have many friends who have quit cold turkey but i dont know anyone who can attest to those inhalers, or nicorrete, or other nicotine style subtitutes.

If you are trying to quit, try this book called "Easy way to stop smoking" by Allen Carrs, i have heard of a couple people(including my father) who quit after that book and they swear by it. I tried it once after reading the book and it worked for 3 weeks, my biggest issues is that once i go out and drink, or do any other drugs the first thing i want is a smoke, that is what gets me every single time.

3. 1) Ignite open flame
    2) Position ignited flame in close proximity to plastic device containing Alkaline battery(ies)
    3) Inhale Deeply

The Darwin Awards spring to mind for some reason

4. Rearden, no clinical studies for this (very very possible for future)
    Here is this small sample for. My boyfriend and my brother are smoking and I look to the e-cigarette all the time for them. You know the cigarette is bad, so really how bad is the e-cigarette with the no FDA approved compare to cigarette?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"E-cigarettes “are by far the most popular smoking alternatives and cessation products on the market,” said Ayers in a press release.

The problem is, no one knows if they’re effective. In another study release by the journal, Boston University public health professor Michael Siegel and colleagues sent out online surveys to 5,000 people who had made a first-time purchase of Blu e-cigarettes during a two-week period in 2009.

They asked respondents about their smoking habits and nicotine use after buying the e-cigarettes. Most of the respondents were men. More than 80% had smoked for six or more years. Nearly two-thirds had tried to quit three or more times.

Sixty-seven percent said they had reduced the number of cigarettes they smoked six months after trying e-cigarettes; 49% said they had quit for an unspecified amount of time and 31% were not smoking at all at the six-month point.

The authors wrote that the results suggested that “if proven safe, e-cigarettes may be a potentially important tool for harm reduction” and that they’re “worthy of further investigation.”

But the findings weren’t definitive, they cautioned. All of the data were self-reported, and they had only a 4.5% response rate."

http://www.tobacco-facts.net/2011/02/new-study-try-to-clear-the-air-around-e-cigarettes

5. Oh nooo, electronic cigarettes, the secret is out, what will happen to the tobacco companies and many physician's revenues?