Electricity trading? How much can you make working for a firm? How about at the desk?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by GILF Hunter, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Take the job. If you pass on it and then find out what electricity trading industry is really like, you will be banging your head against the wall. I will abstain of going into specifics cause I will go into a rant, I will just say that I still cannot get over what I experienced when dealing with these individuals at the energy companies, the brokers and the IBs.

The numbers being mentioned in this thread are about right, after you get a few years experience. Starting out you should break 6 figs after bonus, assuming you are not retarded or seriously f**k up.

Also note that there is electricity TRADING and electricity SCHEDULING. Not the same thing but there is a lot of overlap, depending on the energy company, you may be performing both.
    Feel free to send me a PM.

#11     Jan 20, 2007
  2. ggoyal

ggoyal

i just recently got a job as an energy trader. im in houston.if u have any questions, send me an email.

#12     Mar 13, 2007
  3. Could you tell us a little about the job? What the hours and compensation are like? How do you like the position? How did you get the position?

#13     Mar 14, 2007
  4. ggoyal

ggoyal

well i start the job tomorrow. 60-70K. work hours 6am-3:30pm. i got the job from my university's career website. in the interview, they asked me questions more about my personality. they did not care about my grades. when u work as a trader, to them, it's all about the bottomline. i hope the work hours r adjustable because i still have my last year in university to go. i will basically be trading electricity the day ahead.

#14     Mar 14, 2007