Einstein's puzzle: Can you sovle it?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Molon Labe, Dec 30, 2002.

  1. Einstein wrote this test and said that 98% of the people can't solve it...
    Let's hope you are one of the remaining 2%.

    There's only one solution for this problem.

    There are 5 houses of 5 different colours.
    In each house lives a person of a different nationality.
    Those 5 people drink different drinks, smoke cigarettes of a different brand
    and have a different pet.
    None of them has the same pet, smokes the same cigarette or drinks the same
    Question: Who has the fish?


    The englishman lives in the red house.
    The swedish has a dog as a pet.
    The Dane drinks tea.
    The green house is at the left side of the white one.
    The person who lives at the green house drinks coffee.
    The person who smokes Pall Mall raises birds.
    The owner of the yellow house smokes Dunhill.
    The man that lives in the house that is in the middle drinks milk.
    The norwegian lives in the first house.
    The man that smokes Blends lives next to the one that has cats.
    The man that raises horses lives next to the one that smokes Dunhill.
    The man that smokes Bluemaster drinks beer.
    The german smokes Prince.
    The norwegian lives next to the blue house.
    The man that smokes Blends is neighbour of the one that drinks water.

    This puzzle is brilliant, imo. Took me about 20 minutes to solve.
    I'll post the answer later if need be.
  2. Someone will probably post the answer here soon...I'd advise against scrolling down to the next post if you're interested in this challenge.
  3. One is considering the European version of this puzzle where the houses are counted from left to right, and the other would be the Hebraic solution where the houses are counted from right to left.
  4. trdrmac


    I came up with the German as having the fish.

    Would be interested in seeing how you broke things down.

    I came up with:




    German/Prince/Green/Coffee--- Fish

  5. Einstein's intention was clearly the former.

    Were you able to solve it?
  6. Yes I was. You just put things in a matrix and go from there -- standard math for 2002 college math classes -- maybe cutting edge shit for 1950's.

    Although 98% is a pretty big estimate -- that leaves 2% of the general population able to solve it -- and that percentage on the right side of the IQ bell-curve would be approximately 130 IQ and above (98'th percentile -- borderline between superior intelligence and gifted).

  7. trdrmac,

    I came up with the same answer, took me about a 1/2 hour longer.
  8. KavMan


    I got the right answer but my position was from

    5th, 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st

    I took the left clue as from my point of view instead of the house

    Edit - Actually from 1-5 is still my point of view
    i just had to do it the other way :D :p
  9. trdrmac



    That is about where I was, I worked through it once but wasn't too sure about some of my placement. So I reworked it to see if I came up with the same things.

    Your Menza T-Shirt will be arriving soon.:)
    #10     Dec 30, 2002