EIA weekly report

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by trawer29, Jul 14, 2020.

1. trawer29

trawer29

Hi all,

Recently I started reading the EIA weekly report as I trade crude oil and I want to try scalping when the report comes out. Is there someone can help me to understand/read this report? Any suggestion is welcome.

Thanks in advance,

2. CannonTrading_Ilan

CannonTrading_Ilan Sponsor

3. El Trado

El Trado

Is that even possible to do manually? I would think the machine learning bots would react to that report before you even manage to open it? Isn't it better to go for a bit longer time-intervals?

Just my 2 cents...

CannonTrading_Ilan likes this.
  4. CannonTrading_Ilan

Many ways to skin a cat....

5. trawer29

trawer29

I know that I will not be able to beat the machines but I can program something to extract the report's results...

The fact is that I don't know how to read the report correctly...

6. Overnight

Overnight

http://ir.eia.gov/wpsr/wpsrsummary.pdf

First sentence of third paragraph is the main thrust for CL. RB is further along in that paragraph.

7. trawer29

trawer29

So you're saying that the most important factor is the crude oil inventories increment or decrement regarding the previous week?

8. Overnight

Overnight

Not really. What I am saying is that the number you see reported every Wednesday comes from the first line of that third paragraph. I am sure some algos trade on that number alone.

There are way more metrics to consider, such as the forecast from both the EIA and API and how they differ from the forecasts, the different PADD stats (It ain't all Cushing you know), along with a million other little bits.

9. CannonTrading_Ilan

I think the spreads after reports are something to look at....Cl vs. RBOB, RBOB vs. heating oil etc.

10. trawer29

trawer29

Today after the report releases, there's a huge bull candle... definitely it doesn't make any sense

#10     Jul 15, 2020