Egyptians pelt Clinton motorcade with tomatoes

Discussion in 'Politics' started by wildchild, Jul 15, 2012.

1. You seem to presume most janitors and landscapers are of a certain ethic group. Why do you do this?

#21     Jul 16, 2012
  2. Ricter

Ricter

They are, RCG. They're all "Pakis".

#22     Jul 16, 2012
  3. Is that what they are calling Arabs now? Well, I can add that to all the other slurs these racists use.

#23     Jul 16, 2012
  4. Ricter

Ricter

No, that's what (some) Canadians call East Indians.

#24     Jul 16, 2012
  5. :D

#25     Jul 16, 2012
  6. Ricter

Ricter

I never have found a Canuck who could tell me why they call Indians "East Indians". Who are the "West Indians"?

#26     Jul 16, 2012
  7. paki is a very widely used racial epithet in the UK, that's probably where the Canadians got it from.

#27     Jul 16, 2012
  8. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

I thought the West Indians were the North American Indians. Ie, Sioux, Cherokee, etc. Thought the term originally came from the West Indies (Caribbean Islands) and the "Indians" that got the name while Columbus (and before him, Vespucci) landed.

I am just guessing, however.

#28     Jul 16, 2012
  9. I thought was because they did not know the history of India. Pakistan is a result of the Muslims breaking from the Hindis. So, it follows that East Indians would be the Pakistanis.

#29     Jul 16, 2012
  10. pspr

pspr

If I recall my history, Columbus had thought he landed in the East Indies when he discovered America. He therefore called the native inhabitants Indians.

It wasn't until years later that it was understood that America was a separate continent but the name "Indians" had already stuck. Why they aren't now called West Indians, I don't know. Possibly because the settlers in America had no reason to lengthen the name to differentiate between the two.

#30     Jul 16, 2012