Egyptians only making $2 per day average

Discussion in 'Economics' started by peilthetraveler, Feb 3, 2011.

1. TD80

TD80

It had better be a fire-proof armored brinks truck of a falafel cart with a freedom fighter portrait painted on the sides or you are going to get a very quick lesson in what happens to someone trying to profit off, and in the middle of, an angry mob. You had also better just be handing it out and accepting "donations" versus the traditional model...

I don't think you really want to be seen as a "Free Thinking Capitalist" over there right now. You are much better off appearing to be a "Broke-Ass Disenfranchised Free-Thinking Anarchist with nothing to lose".

#21     Feb 3, 2011
  2. never mind if they make $2/day or $27/day.......how do they afford to build houses and other buildings when steel/cement/etc. costs are so expensive? for instance, an average cost of supplies to build a house in US is 150k(random)....would it cost significantly less in egypt?

#22     Feb 3, 2011
  3. You be arrested for selling to the public without a license. You may well have to pay all kinds of bribes to get such a license, if you can even get it.

#23     Feb 3, 2011
  4. S2007S

S2007S

100,000,000 million jobs need to be created by 2020 according to the I.M.F.

The US is struggling to create 100,000 jobs a month, do you have any idea the amount of effort that is going to have to go into creating 100 MILLION jobs over the next decade!!!!

While regional economies have grown in tandem with their populations, they have failed to generate sufficient overall employment to absorb a growing labor force, or enough demand for skilled labor to absorb the flow of educated graduates, according to an S.&P. report released last week that outlines how these structural problems have lead to the popular discontent witnessed in Tunisia and Egypt.

“It has been difficult to create jobs at a pace that can keep up with the growth of the labor force, and youth unemployment is thought to be nearly twice as high as official rates,” said Kai Stukenbrock, director of S.&P.’s Middle East sovereign team, who co-authored the report. “The protests are driven by the young population, they are the first ones to go into the streets.”

While regional employment statistics are often patchy or outdated, data from the I.M.F and S.&P. show that Tunisia had unemployment rates that ranged from 13.3 percent to 15.4 percent annually during the past two years. Egypt had a 9.4 percent jobless rate last year.

Mr. Stukenbrock believes that uprisings could take place in other countries with similar profiles, namely Algeria, Jordan and Morocco. Algeria, although it has ratcheted down unemployment from a high of 31 percent in 2003, still had a 12.5 percent unemployment level in 2009 and 10.2 percent in 2010. Jordan, with one of the highest unemployment rates in the region, had 12.6 percent of its labor force out of work in 2009 — a figure which rose to 12.9 percent last year.

On top of all this, the I.M.F. estimates that more than 100 million jobs will need to be created in the region by 2020.

#24     Feb 3, 2011
  5. Supplies are not that much to build a house in the US. The reason houses cost so much is you have to pay 10 to15 guys $20 bucks an hour to build it, plus lots of permits, ect...

They also use cheaper materials in egypt and probably produce alot of their own materials with cheap egyptian labor.

Also not all egyptians have an average size 3bedrm 2 bath detached house with garage, gas, electricity, ect. Many live in houses that look like this.

[​IMG]

It costs less than $1,000 usd to build houses like these and many people will live under 1 roof.

You gotta get out more, my friend. When you've never been outside of america or europe, its easy to think that everyone lives like us, but they dont. We really do live in the land of milk & money. :)

#25     Feb 4, 2011
  6. That's because we're not that lazy as they are.

#26     Feb 4, 2011
  7. achilles28

achilles28

That's one of the more ignorant posts I've read here.

Like most of the third-world, Egypt is impoverished largely due to rampant Government corruption and weak property rights. As a consequence, business are reluctant to invest in a Country where the threat of expropriation is high. So they don't. So jobs and wealth aren't created and wages stagnant.

Imagine you lived in a third-world shithole where the courts rule in favor of the guy with the deepest pockets....and you're not him. Would you invest 5 million in a Country like that? How about 20 million?

Now you're an Egyptian. Would you risk your paltry life savings knowing a bigger competitor might come along at any time, grease the courts, and do you in? Or the Grand Poobah might shut you down (or worse) for any reason at all? That's EVEN IF you succeed in a shitty business climate where the other schleps are making 2 bucks a day... Does that sound like a good bet to you?

In a lot of other hellholes, it's even worse. The currency is devalued at a staggering pace, so even if you wanted to save, you couldn't. Then some shitholes are in a perpetual state of war which is basically the worst condition to start a business (you get killed the next day). And in some countries tax rates are ridiculously high, cops and political officials are constantly shaking you down, and tariffs on raw material are exorbitant.

And why is this happening? Because the Government YOU support financed a tyrant for the last 30 years who imposed just those wealth-destroying conditions.

But I suppose it's much easier to take the position of a drooling retard and blast the Egyptians for being lazy sand niggers, crack open a tallboy and turn on the superbowl.

#27     Feb 4, 2011
  8. That's just stupid. Don't you think in court deep pockets don't count in western countries ? Wake up and smell the coffee. They are not making $2 bucks a day, they are making $27 bucks a day, and that is what is declared OFFICIALLY, I'm not even taking unofficially money into it. Living doesn't cost the same as it does in our countries.

It's always nice to blame somebody else. They are doing that the last 200 years in Africa, with the known results. It's not the country resources or the power, it's the people themselves.

The only reason they are a 3rd world country is because they are lazy. Anybody who (like me) has been there several times and lived there knows it.

#28     Feb 4, 2011
  9. zdreg

zdreg

"nothing to lose" maybe janis joplin was right.

Me & Bobby McGee Lyrics
    Artist(Band):Janis Joplin
    Review The Song (42) Print the Lyrics

Send "Me & Bobby McGee" Ringtones to Cell

Me & Bobby McGee Lyrics

Busted flat in Baton Rouge, waiting for a train
    And I's feeling nearly as faded as my jeans.
    Bobby thumbed a diesel down just before it rained,
    It rode us all the way to New Orleans.

I pulled my harpoon out of my dirty red bandanna,
    I was playing soft while Bobby sang the blues.
    Windshield wipers slapping time, I was holding Bobby's hand in mine,
    We sang every song that driver knew.

Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose,
    Nothing don't mean nothing honey if it ain't free, now now.
    And feeling good was easy, Lord, when he sang the blues,
    You know feeling good was good enough for me,
    Good enough for me and my Bobby McGee.

#29     Feb 4, 2011
  10. Govt should actively promote farming
    1. Farmers can employ millions of people.
    2. Farmers need not pay income tax.

#30     Feb 4, 2011