Egypt: At Least 70 Dead In Football Game Fight

Discussion in 'Politics' started by pspr, Feb 1, 2012.

1. "Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very
    disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."
    -
    William "Bill" Shankly, OBE (2 September 1913 – 29 September 1981) was a Scottish football player and manager, most noted for managing Liverpool between 1959 and 1974.

#11     Feb 3, 2012
  2. Very sad when people get behind their team to such a degree that violence, rudeness, and even death occurs. Makes one think of the parallels to our own partisan Country. What starts out as simple rhetoric, turns to 'have to win at any cost' - then to pure hatred of the other side.

Gets pretty close here on ET, and in our national platforms. Pretty sad, really.

Yeah, I know 'kumbaya' and all that.

c

#12     Feb 3, 2012
  3. These are remnants, c. No one talks this way in the real world anymore, and this will be re-affirmed in November, and then these folks will start with the end of America, and the sheeple, and guns, bunkers, gold and food.

It's their way, it is how they define themselves.

#13     Feb 3, 2012
  4. Your partisan defensiveness is creating an ever larger blind spot.

It's the same bullshit I witnessed when the Bush and neo-con loonies went ever further in their justification of the wars, the overspending, the housing bubble, etc, etc...

Once you pick a team or a "side", you've obligated yourself to defending it against all absurdities. Now, you're stuck in that trench with "Simple Jack" aka cpgroupman.

#14     Feb 3, 2012
  5. and yet, you failed to refute the statement of what they will do, and they will, a few of them are starting here already:D

#15     Feb 3, 2012
  6. Why thank you. I guess being a true independent is simple. We simply read and listen to both sides, try to get past the childish name-calling and other nonsense, and form an opinion regardless of political 'side.'

It seems the ignore button is used quite often down here in the basement, as you guys call it. Ignoring good information, albeit hard to find sometimes, is akin to just rooting for your 'side.' That's how all the hate starts, too bad. Sorry for having a 'simple' explanation of what some of you think are such difficult topics.

I appreciate comments from both sides here, just continuing to wish the silliness would go away. But since there seems to be some sort of symbiotic relationship between the posters here, and the name calling is part of the debate, I guess I'll have to learn to live with it. Sometimes it seems you guys really need each other, even when espousing hatred. Interesting study, really.

c

#16     Feb 3, 2012
  7. The point is that you made up your mind 3 years ago that you would support this administration no matter what. It's identical to what the "other guys" did from 2001-04. Sure, they expressed "frustration" with Dubya's over the top spending, the wars, and any number of other issues, but they still defended him because "he wasn't Bill Clinton" or so the logic went.

As I've said a million times before, each administration proves to be more incompetent than their predecessor (and I'm a member of NEITHER team, regardless of what some of the loons around here interpret).

#17     Feb 3, 2012