Effortless Mastery

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by helgen_1, Oct 25, 2015.

1. helgen_1

helgen_1

Much have been said about trading on sim vs trading a real account, and the difference in performance most players will get. It is also repeated that trading is the hardest thing you will encounter trying to master.

Trading is not unique. It is an activity where you have to perform for yourself and your own critic. For other activites it might be performing in front of a live audience. The challenge is the same: Your mind will get in the way of you performing to the best of your abilities.

This musician has written a book that is worth checking out, Effortless Mastery. It goes into the way to practice to improve on those issues. When he speaks about getting in the space I am thinking about Douglas' Trading in the Zone.

"...when they so wanted to play well, they didn't play well at all.."

H.

dartmus, Baron, Wingz and 1 other person like this.
  2. Redneck

Redneck

Well Sir..., it isn't unique..., but then again it really is (why below)

============================

Our society constantly beats into us - one is measured by their results

People who win - are exulted

People who lose - are dismissed

Hence many approach trading -> read..., react..., results - read..., react.., results

Then get bound by / wrapped around - results

All mental baggage associated with / when trading..., every single bit of it - can be traced back to results

Hell..., how many around here focus solely on wining / losing (aka the results)

Trader wins - good trader / can trade / had a good day

Trader loses - bad trader / can't trade / had a bad day

====================

Trading correctly is the exact antithesis

It's only about a process

Read..., react -> read..., react -> read..., react

Regardless of each's trade's outcome

We cannot allow our self to be judged / graded / mired -> with results

Only the process

Did we follow it... did we not follow it

===========================

Trading in the zone (referencing the act here..., not the book) - is solely about trading

Trading to trade..., trading for the sake of trading..., trading via following a consistent process / routine..., with discipline and patience

Nothing else involved..., nothing else matters (least of all results)..., nothing else to concern (bog / burden) our self with

Play..., for the sake of playing - not because you wanted to play well (achieve results)

Get past "results" - you free your mind

Free your mind - it truly humbling what achievable - in trading..., or life

======================

Regarding SIM:

Trading correctly can be accomplished on SIM..., or live

Those ascribing otherwise:

"when trading on SIM - real money not involved"

"trading live - induces psychological issues..., SIM does not" (and exactly what are these issues tied to - duh)

Haven't a clue what successful trading is about

Not a damn clue

But hey..., it does make for good posturing / chest thumping/ berating

=======================

Trade well - win..., lose... or draw - and screw the results

Can be achieved on SIM..., or live - it simply costs way..., way..., way less to do so on SIM

And as a trader's first priority is risk manager / mitigation (monetarily and emotionally)

These SIM naysayers fail on that front as well

Believe there a saying about..., a fool and their money being soon parted

Any who....
    ==============================

Trading is not unique..., but then again..., it is

It truly is Sir :)

Exactly dead nuts on H

=========================

Just the opinion of a simple minded dumbass redneck

RN

helgen_1, Wingz, damnpenguins and 3 others like this.
  3. My SIM results and my live results have always been near identical.
    If I could make money consistently on SIM, i'm certain i'd be able to do the same on my live account

dartmus likes this.
  4. Sometimes you gotta say "What the Fuck", make your move.
    Joel, every now and then, saying "What the Fuck", brings freedom.
    Freedom brings opportunity...Opportunity makes your Future."
    [​IMG]

NoDoji likes this.
  5. kut2k2

kut2k2

Great stuff for discretionary trading, worthless for mechanical trading.

6. Redneck

Redneck

Forgot something H

This is absolutely fact

Because mastering trading - is all.., and only - about mastering our self

And it takes mastering every little aspect of our self (especially those pesky little deepest / darkest corners)

======================

Mkt is an unrelenting assault on the psyche

It affords us infinite opportunities..., in infinite situations (conditions / circumstances / environments) - to stumble..., fall..., fail

We must master our self - to ensure we never do

RN

dartmus likes this.
  7. Handle123

Handle123

People who win - are rewarded

People who lose - are needed and Thank God 60,000 new day traders each year, I love there are so many. Let's face it, you buy a house to rent out, you want someone else to take much less for it, it is always up to the loser to lose. Every watch "Law and Order, SVU"? Det Olivia Benson says we here to help you to the victims, victims often become a victim again and again cause of her. Good traders need Bait.

RN, so you only care about the process? So from now on you send all your profits to Homeless shelter and be happy about your process. But this is not reality, you can't pay bills on process. I trade for the money, I have always traded for the money, I overcame all the bullshit between my ears and I got dumb, cause the dumb people rule the world. If you dumb, you follow directions cause you too dumb to be able to do anything when you lost.

"Trade well - win..., lose... or draw - and screw the results" I agree on not thinking about three of them, think about one of them, Don't lose, concentrating on risk is what it is all about. If you losing seldom, other two takes care of itself. Use a different word than lose, think about it as """"""""""""RISK"""""""""""""", each tick up/down offers different risk.

I believe in a lot of practice when market is open, I believe you have to triple your sim account twice, I believe you should be profitable 18 of 20 days in sim before going live, I believe in hypnosis. I believe many fail cause whatever they are doing isn't fitting their personality. If you are a nervous sort, trade one hour and you are done, trade trend and in between papertrade counter trend, keep brain active.

Now where did I put my banjo.

dartmus likes this.
  8. dartmus

dartmus

Yes you're correct and I understand why you are but the creative space he talks about where improvisation thrives is the essence of where or how to find the best mechanical strategies.

9. NoDoji

NoDoji

I love this blog post from Cornix quite some time ago:

"With regard to the psychological training of professional athletes, particularly professional shooters: To limit stress (which is a fatal factor for any serious competition), professional shooters give themselves the right to make mistakes.

More exactly, they set their goal to make a correct shot technically, not to hit the target. They even inspire themselves that outcome is not that important at all, but correct technique is what only matters.

And that little trick leads to great results. The shooter stands, focuses on the pleasure of the technically perfect shot and does it literally without stress, being focused on the process, not the outcome. Ironically, the chance of target being perfectly hit increases dramatically in such a case.

If the pro shooter's mental focus was to hit the target, he would get overstressed and likely have the opposite result vs. desired.

This is a proven technique used by pro shooters, power lifters and in most other kinds of sport to limit stress during the competition."

Ken Busch, dartmus and Redneck like this.
  10. Redneck

Redneck

Maybe I should start calling you deliverance - LOL

And who amongst us doesn't - it the only reason to trade

==============================

Now..., as to your other point

What is the single biggest risk aspect of / to your trading (we both know it..., I'm not going to diminish by answering)

You limit your manual trading to morning - to mitigate it

You automate - to mitigate it

You're constantly back testing / upgrading - to mitigate it

You constantly struggle with / working - to mitigate it

==========================

I've merely shared how one can all but eliminate it - permanently

=========================

aside:

I think a part of you relishes the mano a mano aspect - but to do that - one must be engaged

I want to win!!!

I hate to lose!!!!

Engaged in / with what exactly - a nameless / faceless / emotionless - entity

I do not..., nor do I find it necessary

I love Ya man - always have..., always will

;)

RN

#10     Oct 25, 2015