Efa

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Math_Wiz, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

I don't understand why this ETF is down almost 2% premarket this morning. The futures are up slightly, and this ETF is representative of many US indexes, is it not? So why is it down 2% when the futures are up? There is no dividend for this ETF, so that doesn't explain it.

Anyone have any ideas?

AMEX description of this ETF:
    http://www.amex.com/?href=/etf/prodInf/EtPiOverview.jsp?Product_Symbol=EFA

Thanks for any insights,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

2. EFA is not representative of US indexes. It is representative of Europe, Australia, and the far east.

3. S2007S

S2007S

Again if you own ETFs that are paying Dividends you need to pay attention.

4. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Well ok, but the biggest world index drop that I see is currently 0.4% (I'm probably not viewing them all, but I'm viewing at least the top ten world indexes), but EFA is down 1.8%.

And as I said before, it has no dividend, so why is it down so much?

Thanks for your responses,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

5. JUST PAID A 1.53 DIVIDEND

Its actually up a few ticks. Scared me as well!

6. Why would you say there is no dividend when it mentions YIELD?

7. S2007S

S2007S

Most of the ETFS do pay a dividend. Go to the website which deals with these ETFs, its all listed there. Same people were questioning the Proshare ETFs yesterday.

8. ex-dividend day is today .

9. Math_Wiz

Math_Wiz

Oh sorry, was looking here at Dividend information

http://research.investopedia.com/q.aspx?s=EFA

For dividend it said "n/a" which made me think there was no dividend. But right under that it says "Dividend yield 1.5%" which I missed at first glance.

Wow, so $1.53 dividend today. Is that quarterly or yearly? Maybe it's a one-time dividend or something? It appears to be 2% of the stock price, but they claim the dividend yield is only 1.5%. Hmmm. I guess I don't understand that.

Any answers? Why is the dividend 2% of the stock price but the "dividend yield" is only 1.5%? And is the dividend yearly or quarterly? If the dividend is quarterly, that means they would give out close to 8% per year! So that must not be right, lol.

Thanks again all,
    +-*/ Math_Wiz

10. Annual dividend. One payment.

#10     Dec 21, 2006