Edwards dropping out

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Mar 2, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20040303/D812IVIO0.html

Edwards to Drop Out of Presidential Race

Mar 2, 8:07 PM (ET)

By RON FOURNIER

(AP) Presidential hopeful Sen. John Edwards, D-NC, waits for his car outside the Capitol after taking...

WASHINGTON (AP) - John Edwards, the Southern charmer who brought unbridled optimism and an up-from-the-bootstraps biography to the presidential campaign, decided to drop out of the Democratic race after a Super Tuesday rout, The Associated Press has learned.

"He's stepping aside," said a Democratic official who spoke on condition of anonymity.

A second Democratic official said Edwards will drop out Wednesday afternoon in Raleigh, N.C.

Edwards, 50, is a Southern politician in the Bill Clinton mold, a youthful moderate of modest background whose charisma and looks gained more attention than his policies at first. He came to politics in mid-life, running for the U.S. Senate from North Carolina in 1998 after earning millions of dollars as a trial attorney.

Edwards' upbringing was a central theme to his populist message. He announced his candidacy Sept. 16 in front of the empty textile mill in Robbins, N.C., where his father had been employed for 36 years and where Edwards himself had earned money for college by sweeping floors and working as a night watchman.

2. He seems to be wining in Georgia

3. Maverick74

Maverick74

Yeah he is winning Georgia but he got destroyed in every other state. I mean really destroyed. I know he wasn't expecting to win those other states but I think he was hoping that it would at least be close.

4. Good riddance. I wonder what Kerry promised him to get him out.

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

You know it's pretty sad when I can say that Dennis Kucinich and Al Sharpton have more substance then Edwards. I don't think Edwards is going to be on Kerry's VP ticket. He is too much of a lightweight.

6. What are the odds for Edwards for VP.

I'll make a bet with someone. I think Edwards will be running for VP.