Education

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Miasmi22, Mar 9, 2004.

1. Miasmi22

Miasmi22

I am a college student at Miami University and desperately want to trade as a career after college. Miami does not offer any classes specifically on futures, options or derivatives. The topics are touched in several courses but nothing very in-depth. I am attempting to put together an independent study program with a professor and he suggested I try to find syllabi from trading firms or other training programs. I have not had much success finding these. At the moment, I am leaning toward Hull's "Options, Futures, and Other Derivatives." Does anyone know how I may get a training program or syllabus? Please suggest any material that you feel should be covered in the course that would be essential for future success in the business. Thanks.

2. this is the standard required reading text for most derivative trading desks--

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-1199801-6344918?v=glance&s=books&n=507846

surfer

3. ertrader1

ertrader1 Guest

Thats a steal.....at University it cost me 85 bucks.....back in 97

damn

4. just like the seats at the PHLX ??

LOL !

:p

5. Mecro

Mecro

Hehe at least that book has value. Nothing like shelling out 100 bucks on a piece of crap book that no university will buy back.

Miasmi22:

Im having a bit of de ja vu. It's just a complete shame that barely even try to teach anything about real trading or what really goes on in stock markets in college. They had a derivatives class at my school taught by some heavy accent Chinese professor who obviously was all academics. I did not even take it because of how horrible the professor was.
    I started trading options on my own and it's amazing how much experience will teach you and will push you to learn on your own. My classmates that took and Aced the class would not know the first thing to do if they actually wanted to trade some calls & puts.

Bottom line,

Experience. If succesful trading was as easy as booksmarts, markets would not exist.

6. Miasmi22

Miasmi22

"Options Volatility and Pricing" by Natenberg was mentioned. What chapters are focused on? All or should I just focus on the highlights?

7. nitro

nitro

Call the University of Chicago and ask around.

Many people from there end up at the Chicago MERC.

nitro

8. either you have serious interest or you do not. if you are serious-read it all. if not, look for another line of work.

surfer

9. If I were you, I would forget all the books and try and get as much work experience as possible. Practical knowledge far outweighs any information contained on mindless pieces of paper. Write to all the big and small trading houses in your area just asking for maybe one or two weeks experience, then after this hopefully you can use your charm and make a few contacts who will then , if you have any penaz, help you on your way.

good luck

10. the BEST free market school in the world.

surfer :) :) :)

#10     Mar 10, 2004