Education For HFT

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by drailing33, Jul 14, 2011.

1. How much money can you really make with expensive HFT hardware and colocation costs if you are trading stocks that only have 30-50k average daily volume? If you average .0050 per share profit and you were 20% of the volume on a 30k stock, you're looking at 30000 * .20 * .0050 = $30? Say, say 5 cents .. $300? Maybe do 100 stocks? I guess it's an interesting niche. I mean I know you're an IB customer, so IB is gutting you 1.30 per side on 100 shares, so you have to be looking for wide, wide spreads.

You obviously aren't crossing the spread either, so you must be doing spread extraction on illiquid names. If those so-called robots are doing these weird patterns, maybe they are just probing for hidden liquidity.

#31     Jul 18, 2011
  2. HFT is not possible unless you've membership in the stock exchange

#32     Jul 18, 2011
  3. +1

Internalization has created a 2-tier market .. the same liquidity is just not available to all. When was the last time a resting retail order got crossed at mid?

#33     Jul 19, 2011
  4. If you want to be worked like a dog, for small pay, then CompSci.

If you just want to monitor stuff, and adjust a couple of parameters, for large pay, then Economics / Finance. Also helps to know some ppl & be a good talker. Ability to sell crap to morons etc.

The CompSci route is over crowded -- massive supply of eager skill sellers, such that it has become a bit funny / tragic. HFT firms scooping up the top 1% of grads for next to nothing. "The dumbest smart ppl"..

* Also: There is no path from tech to trading.

#34     Jul 19, 2011
  5. rmorse

rmorse Sponsor

Any automated system connected to an API is HFT. Low latency trading requires being next to the data feed and works much better when co-located next to the exchange you want to route orders to. However, you don't have to be a member. You can direct connect if you need to through a member.

#35     Jul 19, 2011
  6. Direct connect through their [potentially slow] filtering, no?

It's still second tier latency .. often with top tier costs.

#36     Jul 19, 2011
  7. jb514

jb514

We'll probably have to go back to entering trades by phone. Hopefully the days of mailing orders are not coming back too.

#37     Jul 19, 2011
  8. #38     Jul 20, 2011
  9. #39     Jul 20, 2011
  10. rosy2

rosy2

i dont see this. where are you located?

#40     Jul 20, 2011