Edge types, efficiency, etc

Discussion in 'Trading' started by New2thegame, Jan 10, 2010.

1. I find myself drawn to the idea of attempting either intraday or short-term trading on minis like the YM, TF, ES, or NQ. I suppose my approach is simply looking for patterns either over the course of several days or even solely intraday and testing them in multiple periods (present, past, and future). I have found some things that look promising but they dwindle. Do any mechanical edges permanently exist on futures? Not asking for freebies, just wanting to know if there are methods so robust that they always work if not just sometimes better than other times? Or is the real edge in adapting to the times when one method loses a leg?

Am I barking up the wrong tree? I hear people say these markets are highly efficient, but if that's so, then which comparatively are the least efficient? That would seem a better place to start I guess.

Thanks.

#11     Jan 11, 2010
  2. Thanks for your post. I suppose an issue of mine is try so deperately to understand things and have a hard times just going with the flow. In other words, assuming I did find something that worked, I'd need to convince myself of why it works before I'd even trust it. I know this can be helpful in many disciplines but can be a liability in others. I can see it being a liability in trading seeing as trading/ecomomic theory is far from an exact science. I guess I just get hung up a lot in the details you mention. If some academics say it's a waste of time, if you have any respect for acadamia it makes you think. I'm clearly biased though because I want to believe. However, i'm smart enough to know that wanting to believe isn't a good enough reason to do so. I guess I'm really just reaching for reasons to "know" I can earn excess returns. I'm trying to create a belief system about what might or can really work so I can silence the voices of doubt that are in my head. ;)

#12     Jan 11, 2010
  3. Hi nazzdack,

That's a fair comment. I don't expect shortcuts and I have a whole pile of wheat to separate from the chaff. I believe I already know a lot, and am currently in the process of weeding out the uselessness. I suppose it's the small nagging prospect in my head that wonders if it's nearly all useless. I suppose i'm trying to get help trimming the fat so that I can learn to focus better. Hope that helps you help me.

Thanks.

#13     Jan 11, 2010
  4. Interesting... unkown unknowns are the worst kind... I suppose this is another thing I'm trying to find more about. Am I missing some things that I don't even realize i'm missing. Or, potentially worse yet, are some of the things I KNOW really bunk... I know Soros would suggest much of what we think we know isn't so, but then no one seems to buy into his theory of reflexivity, do they? It seems reasonable to me though.

#14     Jan 11, 2010
  5. Just out of curiosity, do you know how to program?

#15     Jan 11, 2010
  6. It depends on the language/software, but I am fairly capable. I definitely have the capacity to learn it at the least. Any particular reason you ask?

#16     Jan 11, 2010
  7. flatron

flatron

lol.
    Reading your posts is like reading my own thoughts, especially my thoughts from a few months ago, although you have gone deeper into it than me.

One of my threads is here:
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=183933

(I ask more questions than just those in my openeing post)

Since that post my results have not changed. Im becomming less paranoid about everything and am not overthinking everything so much.

Have you been demo trading? Have you managed to string together a period of consistent successful results at all?

#17     Jan 11, 2010
  8. Hey New2TheGame, I PM'ed you why I was asking you if you knew how to program.

#18     Jan 11, 2010
  9. Great, I'm glad my thoughts resonate with some of you. I will read your thread in a little bit. I have been demo trading and I mentioned earlier that I do find some pretty promising tendencies but I see enough variation that it forces me to assume that it's no better than the null hypothesis. That is, even though it still may be quite valid (or not)... I know theoretically assuming a 1:1 R/R that one could make quite a living from a 5% edge net of costs but in reality when trying to convince yourself in trading with real money, or even demo money for that matter that 55% is good enough, it's hard. It's hard because I know this "edge" could be explained by standard deviation. It really ruins baseball for me too ;) Most teams' winning records could be attributable mostly to chance, how disappointing. How did you reconcile yourself and learn to relax and just trade?

#19     Jan 11, 2010
  10. spindr0

spindr0

Geez, you sure are in need of therapy :)

I had a friend/mentor in the 80's who had worn a number of financial hats, one of which had been running a mutual fund. At one of our happy hour adventures, I laid out my best but confused hypothesis for gold (whose stocks I was actively trading at that time) and asked, "What am I missing?" His response was, "Understanding it will only confuse you." In essence, his position was that understanding it is far less important than recognizing it, eg. going with the flow (riding the trend).

You have to understand it to some degree. You can't be ignorant of market basics. But AFAIK, seeing is more important than believing. If something works, you trade it incrementally and eventually you bang it hard but you make sure never to never take your eye off the risk and make sure you're in control of it.

#20     Jan 11, 2010