Eddie Lampert backs up the truck on Citigroup

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by makloda, Nov 15, 2007.

1. He's just another human, with other peoples' money to be wrong with...

What he does is his business. He may have different goals, timeframes in mind than other traders here betting against him.

Hell, I am long the Yen right now, but I don't think that is gonna last long.....but it's all about time frame. I imagine I will be shorting the Yen again soon enough.....Other longer term participants may be already shorting the yen like crazy in preparation for the dollar's comeback.....but that is their prerogative and their time frame and their risk tolerance.

#21     Nov 17, 2007
  2. What you say is correct, good stuff.

#22     Nov 17, 2007
  3. ""Isnt this the same guy who made a killing out of K-Mart a few years back?"""

He saw the value of the real estate, I presume others overlooked that op. At one time (not sure if there has been any more talk about it) some people were trying to get MCD to separate the real estate from the business. I believe it was the founder himself (Kroc?)who said, I'm not in the hamburger business, I'm in the real estate business.

#23     Nov 17, 2007
  4. I also wonder if ESL knew about this when he bought and if so how he could have mitigated this.

"What Citi did a couple of years ago was insert a put type of option into otherwise conventional CDOs that were backed by subprime mortgages and sold to such entities as funds set up by Wall Street firms. The put allowed any buyer of these CDOs who ran into financing problems to sell them back - at original value - to Citi. The likelihood of the put being exercised, however, was regarded as extremely remote because the CDOs were structured to be high-grade entities called "super-senior."

http://money.cnn.com/2007/11/09/new...ubin.fortune/index.htm?postversion=2007111119

#24     Nov 17, 2007
  5. LOL suggest you re-read my post, clown.

Smarter than Lampert? I don't know who the guy is frankly, and don't give a shit.. But there's no guarantee he ain't wrong, and just because some popular trader/hedge fund manager has an opinion of a stock, it wouldn't affect my opinion one way or another...

I trade in a 2-10 day timeframe, so frankly I don't give a rat's ass what he thinks.

How's that?

P.S. I trade Futs, not stocks...I only watch this stuff because it's indicative of the economy, it's entertaining, and my mtg is with countrywide....

#25     Nov 17, 2007
  6. he basically turned around kmart. wasn't just a passive investor. which is why i'm thinking there's something more to this citi thing...

#26     Nov 17, 2007
  7. akeyla

akeyla

You trade in a 2-10 day time frame and you trade futures? Is this correct? Not trying to be sarcastic or funny. Just asking for clarification.

#27     Nov 17, 2007
  8. Yes it is correct.

I will hold longer if conditions warrant though.

#28     Nov 17, 2007
  9. since when was eddie f'in lampert annoited "the shit" he ran whatever he owned (kmart+sears) into the frigging ground....plus his best friend was Cramer???? I'll shoot myself before I jump on that BUS

#29     Nov 18, 2007
  10. The media annointed him the next "Warren Buffett", same as Timmay being the next "Jesse Livermore". Writers are known for substance abuse. Comprendez? "Substance" abuse. :eek:

#30     Nov 18, 2007