Economy In Crisis

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ktmexc20, Mar 3, 2006.

1. With all due respect to the Republican point of view (I'm a proclaimed independent... They all suck, imo)... What is the game plan... How are all of these things (I mean all current policies in general) the elected branches have imposed upon the country, supposed to be of benefit to the people of America in the long run? I just don't see it. I can only see a major policy retracement to correct which appear to me, at this time, as devastating errors for the future.

#31     Mar 3, 2006
  2. Our national debt is not as large as other countries in % terms relative to GDP. The site makes no mention of the vast amount of capital, resources, and companies that US firms own oversees. And our money is still worth far more than most currencies. That being said....

#32     Mar 3, 2006
  3. hans37

hans37

I'm sorry I must have missed what you propose as to the solution to: Foreign Ownership of US Domestic Industries?

#33     Mar 3, 2006
  4. hmmm, let's see...why does this sound so familiar?

Oh yeh! You sound just like all the "it's-diffferent-this-time" crowd at the peak of the bubble.

True, we can't know the exact timing, but anyone can see we are headed for trouble. Well, anyone should be able to see, but that is not how the ever-hopeful human psyche works.

bt

#34     Mar 3, 2006
  5. Sure, headed for trouble. And we're going to run out of oil. It just never seems to happen though does it?:confused:

#35     Mar 3, 2006
  6. What is your idea of 'never'? A few decades?

bt

#36     Mar 3, 2006
  7. Impostor : How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy (Hardcover)
    by Bruce Bartlett

"Bartlett, an economist and former Reagan administration official, attacks the Bush administration hard but from the political Right."

bt

#37     Mar 3, 2006
  8. From what I've been seeing lately (ie: as indicated by the many Republican callers on CSPAN's Washington Journal every morning), It seems more and more Republicans are gonna be joining me as registered independents. They're really expressing disapproval.

#38     Mar 3, 2006
  9. The US Financial position definitely looks bad. However, the rest of the OECD countries don't really look much better. Check out the attached spreadsheet.

Also the public debt is over $8.2 trillion, but only $4.8 Trillion is held by the public, including foreigners. http://www.publicdebt.treas.gov/opd/opdpdodt.htm

The other $3.5 Trillion is held in Govt trust funds. These are special non-marketable gov securities. BUT when it comes time to spend the money in the trust fund, where does it come from? Thin air like the rest of it. With annual budget deficits every year this debt will never be repaid but just rolled over and added to.

But this is really just a symptom of the real problem...politicians unlimited power to do whatever they please. Now the democrats & republicans have a duopoly on the political process and neither one has any interest in fixing anything that's wrong. People need to stop supporting political parties and vote independently for individual candidates based on their REAL track record; not what their party is SUPPOSED to stand for.

#39     Mar 3, 2006
  10. Really? That must be why you did not vote for Clinton who balanced the budget, you did not vote for Gore who proposed to keep Social Security in a lockbox, you did not vote for Howard Dean who was governor of Vermont with an excellent track record. You voted for a failed businessman George Dubaiya Bush instead. Right now your suggestion is a tad disingenuous.

#40     Mar 4, 2006