Economy In Crisis

Discussion in 'Economics' started by ktmexc20, Mar 3, 2006.

1. hans37

hans37

My advice is lay off the crack pipe and common dweebs.org (http://www.commondreams.org/views06/0227-20.htm)

A little from the "about us" section on economyincrisis website.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Mission :

To help legislators and the American public become aware of ... Present unique articles and facts revealing how the US economy is being drained by foreign competitors and how our standard of living is being diminished. ..

Our people should not obtain most of their needed goods by selling title to our wealth-producing assets.

We Believe:

“Free Trade” systematically destroys our ability to produce products competitively

Stronger regulations should be put in place restricting foreign purchasing of US companies

Economic policy should be derived from facts and results not merely theories and blind faith

As citizens and consumers we have the power to effect change

We need grassroots support of our citizens regardless of political, social, or religious affiliations

We need true political, corporate, and industry leadership and patriotism to preserve and foster the strength of this country, its citizens, and it industries
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone else read , implementation of failed planned economies and restriction of consumer choice to " what we think is good for you"?

#11     Mar 3, 2006
  2. We're selling our industries to sustain our spending habits, we're deep in debt as a country and individually, the savings rate is below zero, more an more people are uninsured, more and more households live below poverty level, real wages are flat at best, the median income is not growing and is probably falling. An average american is worse off today than he was 5 years ago.

PS I hope you don't buy that low inflation crap - food, healthcare, gas, education, houses have virtually doubled in price in the last few years.

#12     Mar 3, 2006
  3. Good points. Yes, I do buy the low, stable inflation story, so do financial markets.

PS I hope you don't buy that low inflation crap - food, healthcare, gas, education, houses have virtually doubled in price in the last few years.

#13     Mar 3, 2006
  4. All I am saying is that the long-term trend for America is up, there are always Cassandras running around saying the world is about to end. Think of it like short-sellers. They are right once in awhile but its a tough business given a 10% upward drift in the market. :)

#14     Mar 3, 2006
  5. I think that the fassod (sic: spelling?) of economic prosperity today, is at the cost of debt and disruption tomorrow.

These current policies are great for stimulating an economy, but the long term effect, if current policies are sustained, will be detrimental.

#15     Mar 3, 2006
  6. Well Hans, that's certainly a respectable response for intelligent debate.

#16     Mar 3, 2006
  7. I've got to plead ignorance, after 10 minutes of googling, can't figure out what a fassod is:confused:

#17     Mar 3, 2006
  8. hans37

hans37

Quote from hans37:
    My advice is lay off the crack pipe and...
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well Hans, that's certainly a respectable response for intelligent debate.
    Funny how you skipped the other 95% of my reply but:
    are you claiming this disposition of yours is a result of being "SOBER"?

#18     Mar 3, 2006
  9. Fassod(sic): A visible front or surface... As in: The fassod of a building is what you see when your standing at the curb... so to speak.

btw, does anyone know the correct spelling?

#19     Mar 3, 2006
  10. I don't think foreign ownership of US business is a problem. If 30% of a company's profit comes from outside US, then 30% foreign owership is normal. What can really cause crisis is the national debt. What would the government do when the borrowing limit is reached?

#20     Mar 3, 2006