economics of the new disaster management

Discussion in 'Economics' started by sho-tim, Sep 13, 2008.

1. sho-tim

sho-tim

The following is a letter a nurse wrote that is volunteering in the gov't evacuation operations. It gives an indication of where your tax dollars are going to work.

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Editor,

I am a nurse who has just completed volunteer working approximately 120 hours as the clinic director in a Hurricane Gustav evacuation shelter in Shreveport, Louisiana over the last 7 days. I would love to see someone look at the evacuee situation from a new perspective. Local and national news channels have covered the evacuation and "horrible" conditions the evacuees had to endure during Hurricane Gustav.

True - some things were not optimal for the evacuation and the shelters need some modification.

At any point, does anyone address the responsibility (or irresponsibility) of the evacuees?

Does it seem wrong that one would remember their cell phone, charger, cigarettes and lighter but forget their child's insulin?

Is something amiss when an evacuee gets off the bus, walks immediately to the medical area, and requests immediate free refills on all medicines for which they cannot provide a prescription or current bottle (most of which are narcotics)?

Isn't the system flawed when an evacuee says they cannot afford a $3 copay for a refill that will be delivered to them in the shelter yet they can take a city-provided bus to Wal-mart, buy 5 bottles of Vodka, and return to consume them secretly in the shelter?

Is it fair to stop performing luggage checks on incoming evacuees so as not to delay the registration process but endanger the voluntee r staff and other persons with the very realistic truth of drugs, alcohol and weapons being brought into the shelter?

Am I less than compassionate when it frustrates me to scrub emesis from the floor near a nauseated child while his mother lies nearby, watching me work 26 hours straight, not even raising her head from the pillow to comfort her own son?

Why does it insense me to hear a man say "I ain't goin' home 'til I get my FEMA check" when I would love to just go home and see my daughters who I have only seen 3 times this week?

Is the system flawed when the privately insured patient must find a way to get to the pharmacy, fill his prescription and pay his copay while the FEMA declaration allows the uninsured person to acquire free medications under the disaster rules?

Does it seem odd that the nurse volunteering at the shelter is paying for childcare while the evacuee sits on a cot during the day as the shelter provides a "daycare"?

Have government entitlements created this mentality and am I facilitating20it with my work?

Will I be a bad person, merciless nurse or poor Christian if I hesitate to work at the next shelter because I have worked for 7 days being called every curse word imaginable, feeling threatened and fearing for my personal safety in the shelter?

Exhausted and battered,

Sherri Hagerhjelm, RN

2. Sad. :eek:

3. vv111y

vv111y

The makes me more than sad, it makes me very angry. And it leaves me with questions:
    How bad is society as a whole getting?
    Is this a fluke or is this going to be the norm?
    If it's the latter, than what do we do? How do I lead my life if this is how other people are?

Where is this from? Any way to verify it?

4. The story was printed wrong actual story is below.

Dear Editor,

I am an accountant who has just completed volunteer working approximately 120 hours as the accounting director dealing with Lehmans’ in the Federal Reserves Bank Shelter in New York City, New York over the last 5 days. I would love to see someone look at the credit crisis situation from a new perspective. Local and national news channels have covered the credit crisis and "horrible" conditions the Wall Street investment banks are enduring during this credit crisis.

True - some things were not optimal for Wall Street and the Federal Reserve Bank Shelters need some modification.

At any point, does anyone address the responsibility (or irresponsibility) of the investment banks?

Does it seem wrong that one would remember their blackberry, charger, call girl, cigars and lighter but forget their banks accounts?

Is something amiss when an investment banker gets out of his limo, walks immediately to the New York Federal Reserve Bank, and requests immediate free treasury refills on all CDOs and MBSs for which they cannot provide a copy of the title or name of the current owner (most of which are long gone)?

Isn't the system flawed when an investment banker says they cannot afford a $3 copy of the CDOs and MBSs documents that will be delivered to them in the Federal Reserve Bank Shelter yet they can take a company provided limo to The Green Grape, buy 5 bottles of Vodka, and return to consume them secretly in the shelter?

Is it fair to stop performing credit checks on incoming investment banks so as not to delay the credit supply process but endanger the American people and other persons with the very realistic truth of bad debts, sub-prime and toxic loans being brought into the Federal Reserve Bank Shelter?

Am I less than compassionate when it frustrates me to scrub toxic loans from the books near a nauseated home owner while his banker sits drunk nearby, watching me work 26 hours straight, not even raising his head from the desk to comfort his own client?

Why does it incense me to hear a banker say "I ain't goin' home 'til I get my Federal Reserve Bank check" when I would love to just go home and see my daughters who I have only seen 3 times this week?

Is the system flawed when the private home owner must find a way to get to the bank, readjust his debts pay his mortgage while the Federal Reserve Bank and Treasury declaration allows the miss managed investment bankers to acquire free credit under the disaster rules?

Does it seem odd that the accountant volunteering at the Federal Reserve Shelter is paying for childcare while the investment banker plays golf during the day as the Federal Reserve Bank shelter provides a "daycare"?

Have government entitlements created this mentality and am I facilitating it with my work?

Will I be a bad person, merciless accountant or poor Christian if I hesitate to work at the next Federal Reserve Bank Shelter because I have worked for 7 days being called every curse word imaginable, feeling threatened and fearing for my personal safety in the shelter?

Exhausted and battered,

Sherri Hagerhjelm, CPA

5. the bitch can shut the fuck up

I hope people who whine just fucking suffer and die, their existence is a fucking failure, they only exist to serve, suffer or die, so be it

6. Sheer brilliance, from start to finish. (from entry to stop)

Good work!