Economics of Texas

Discussion in 'Economics' started by bigarrow, Feb 16, 2011.

1. BSAM

BSAM

Brotherman, are you trying to tell me that it takes two hours to get from Highway 6 to downtown Houston, TX?

#51     Feb 17, 2011
  2. BASM.

Man, I have hit traffic right at city limits coming in from SA, heading down town, I has takn' me 2 hours....just to pass under 635...heading down to the ball park area....

Not kidding. This was at 3:30pm.

Of course late night or super early before rush hour I can get to H-town in like 3 hours...

#52     Feb 17, 2011
  3. BSAM

BSAM

It's "BSAM".

Are you sure you were in Houston? (There ain't no 635.)

Maybe your watch hasn't been calibrated lately. Or, maybe you were someplace else; like, uh, Dallas.

#53     Feb 17, 2011
  4. What is the Hwhy that loops around Houston.....you can jump on it and go around or head down to the coast?

635 might be the one around Dallas.

Whatever the one is as you come in from 10 west and you can jump on to take you around H-town.

#54     Feb 17, 2011
  5. rcj

rcj

Err... mabee 610 ?? Or take the Beltway ?

#55     Feb 17, 2011
  6. volente_00

volente_00

No offense but SA is a $hithole.

And you wonder why juan does not want a 3000 sq ft house there ?

Bout neck and neck with houston.

I built strictly custom homes 200 - 500k.

I exited before the downturn.

The last one I built in 2005 is now worth 20% more on the market right now.

We never got the crazy ramp up in prices like cali, nevada and florida did.

And what is a commute ?

That is for people with jobs.

:)

#56     Feb 17, 2011
  7. Maverick74

Maverick74

Where in TX did you build custom homes?

#57     Feb 17, 2011
  8. BSAM

BSAM

Hmmm.....Sure seems to be a lot of conflicting information on the internet.

#58     Feb 17, 2011
  9. Very interesting thread, since I live in N texas. Now you must have heard of the 2 news articles lately.

1: the state budget is 15 billion short in the next 2 years. they need to cut 20-30% of teaching jobs.

2: the census shows Texas has grown the maximum... Mckinney grew 141% . wow. but its a small city to start with.

about keeping a house in texas. One thing we pay a lot in utilities and taxes. once couple of friends were comparing. 2002 to 2005 period . Orange county home.
    botfor 500K. appreciated to 800K. but he was taxes 1% on 500K. annual prop taxes 5K. and year round utility. no need for lot of A.C . heater was ~ 500 $

the house in Flowermound. (dallas). bot for 260K.. appreciated to 300K
    property taxes hoa close to 8000 p.a. utilites. were 3-4K per year.. in summer . my freind for his massive lawn. pay like 200 on water. . plus lot of miscellaneous costs add up..

from this thread. i hope folks know we pay the highest property taxes in the country. plus highest sales tax.. but we have no state income tax. Once , an outsider mentioned the reason we have to pay a lot to schools is that each county has got like 20 school districts with superintendents. etc.. and most important. football team. which is more important that religion. ha ha.

120 million spent. ha ha

http://highschoolsportsblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/04/if-drawings-are-any-indication.html

being a home owner, for some time, i do partially agree to better be a renter.. if u look at it. a darn house.. things always need maintenance. u literally need 3-4K a year for unforseen issues. garage door.water heater... suddenly possum in the attic. pests. termites.. foundation problems.. murphy's law... u name it. and it will happen.

#59     Feb 18, 2011