Economics BS degree

Discussion in 'Economics' started by z32000, Apr 10, 2007.

1. bgp

bgp

why yes i have a b.s. {bullshit degree}

#11     Apr 11, 2007
  2. haha thats what I thought he was saying at first when he said bs

#12     Apr 11, 2007
  3. gnome

gnome

Don't you think that's a bit harsh? To get a Bachelor of Science you must have passed courses in math, physics, and chemistry. Surely that taught you something useful.... OR, did you mean "BS", as in Basket Weaving?? :D

#13     Apr 11, 2007
  4. volente_00

volente_00

The study of Economics is all about relationships and correlations. If you enjoy learning how these factors effect other things in the business cycle then go for it. I have a BS in Eco and a minor in GBA. The reason I did this is because the Eco degree is not that great by itself but the two together force you to take 4 accounting, 4 finance, 2 management and 2 marketing classes. The degree itself will probably not help you in trading but will open doors should trading not work for you.

#14     Apr 11, 2007
  5. volente_00

volente_00

You had one of those too ? I actually found it useful in helping develop pattern recognition skills which transfers back to stock and future charts.

#15     Apr 11, 2007
  6. thn5625

thn5625

First of all dont study econ if you are looking for the "right" answer to how things work. As someone who studied econ I actually think disagreement is healthy. Challenging theories and opinions: Thats how we advance in knowledge.

I would also study mathematics as well as econ.

As for trading, studying econ helps if you are like a macro trader or fundamental trader. Daytrading is a different animal and I suggest you dont associate daytrading with economics. I dont think school can help you become a better trader. I say trade on the side while you are in college.

#16     Apr 19, 2007
  7. It helps you learn how to look at the world non-intuitively, to question the relationships you think exist.

As for whether a BS in Economics would help much with trading, even longer term "macro" trading, I doubt it. A bachelor degrees really doesn't get enough into the meat of anything enough -- at least not in economics -- to be able to help you much as a discipline. It really only sets you up to be able to digest what comes later. (And what comes later, in large part, consists of refuting (at least to some degree) what you were taught earlier. :))

#17     Apr 22, 2007
  8. TOM134

TOM134

Z32000,

You say that you have a BS degree.

Now 'Mother Market' will teach you the rest of the alphabet!

Another tip: there is NOTHING 'scientific'
    about trading.

You would have been better off with a BA.

Trading is an art.

I hope this helps.

Tom

#18     Apr 22, 2007
  9. It will be very useful to have a degree in economics from a top 10 school. That way you can intern at Goldman Sachs, etc.

If you want to be a independent trader, you don't even need to go to college.

#19     Apr 22, 2007

10. So was the stuff produced by Jackson Pollock.

[​IMG]

(Reportedly $140,00,000 worth)

So I guess, art or BS, it's all pretty much the same! :)

#20     Apr 22, 2007