Economics books

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Maharaja, Feb 10, 2010.

1. I am looking for recommendations for economics books. I have recently developed an interest in it and have essentially little formal schooling in it. I would like to find a book (or set of books) that are challenging and writing that is direct and gets to the point. Advanced math/stats are not an issue for me. The easy and basic econ concepts that author assumes the reader should know I can look up (google), and so I am not looking for a introductory book. Mid level sounds about right. Thanks ET.

2. JRL

JRL

Economics isn't about advanced math.

You might want to check out The Undercover Economist by Tim Harford. Fun read.

3. Man, Economy and State by Murray Rothbard is the best book for beginners in economics. It starts with very simple concepts and then builds from there.

4. schizo

schizo

What are you exactly interested in? Once you graduate from Econ 101, you usually branch out into different disciplines as well as various schools of thought. Which of the two categories are you looking for? Macro- or microeconomics? Once you have that down, you can then further explore into subcategories like supply-side economics, behavioral economics and game theory, etc.

5. Good questions. I guess I would be looking to skim all the different schools of thought and then figure out which one I prefer. I'd like to eventually hit both micro and macro, but which one is better to start off with?

6. morganist

morganist Guest

7. rosy2

rosy2