Economic Impact: Confessions of an ObamaCare Backer

Discussion in 'Economics' started by Tom B, Nov 10, 2009.

1. BartS

BartS

The idea behind the plan is good, but whatever comes to fruition will most likely be unrealistic given the structure of our health care system.

However, I find that the words healthcare and business should not be put in the same sentence...We have managed a system where a portion of the population is effectively priced out of being able to carry health insurance.

I'm 30 with no medical history (very healthy - knock on wood) and my premium with one of the largest providers has doubled over the last 4 years.Is healthcare twice as expensive?I doubt it.
    I've been fortunate to be able to earn a decent (good) living and so is my girlfriend - so I get upset when my premium jumped to $590 from $525 and then 3 months later to $650....

Now tell a normal family - working parents - one kid - to go and spend over 5% of their income on health insurance alone....actually bump that to 10% once one loses their job (quite common lately)....Add in deductibles - this and that doesn't get covered - let's cherry pick who we approve and who is a "risk"....

Seriously?

I'm still one of the rare people that believes that healthcare should be governement run, not for profit, but for the benefit of people. It should cover everything besides vision and dental, for which there should be "insurance companies" - where you could purchase those coverages. Healthcare should be a right - not a luxury.

Healthcare should be financed by an added federal sales tax, on everything from retail sales to services - and no tax exemptions should be allowed for businesses - any businesses...I firmly believe that if we are "ok" with paying property taxes that go to schools in our communities (why would I want to pay that - I don't have kids???) we should be ok with paying an added tax that goes to healthcare....

And one thing that one can't deny - the more one makes - the more one spends - hence everyone would contribute a proportional amount of their income to healthcare....

#21     Nov 12, 2009