Econ Forum: Isn't deflation a good thing?

Discussion in 'Economics' started by TGregg, Aug 29, 2003.

1. m22au

m22au

Physical gold as a currency does give rise to the portability and divisability problems.

However electronic gold (eg. www.goldmoney.com) serves to solve some of these problems.

Also, in currency crises, the benefits of gold as a currency outweigh its obvious negatives.

#31     Oct 22, 2003
  2. Dear Lord, give me the strength to overcome the madness that has beset this forum - Amen

Might I inquire of the poster which currency crises he has personal experience in dealing with?

May I further inquire as to what makes him think that in a time when his currency is no longer reliable tender, his ISP and such will be available for his electronic gold transactions?

I have begged management to close this forum to no avail, now I call on the Almighty to strike the server with lightening, at the very least.

#32     Oct 22, 2003
  3. "A change in thinking about what underpins the world we live in needs to occur on a large scale."

As a first cut, meaning, limiting the focus of what I have said, here is a link for you guys to skim and think about.

I'd like you to carry this in your mind as a microcosm of a much larger interacting dynamical system we can call 'the world'. As my understanding of the problems we are facing grows I hope to be able to post my thoughts on how people are attempting to grapple with these problems. Obviously, some of you can grasp these topics much more clearly than I can. However, that is of no value unless real work takes place in the understanding of our mission as humans. We must survive. As far as is known, in the universe, we are the most intelligent form of life. SETI has mapped most of the sky and there are no signals.

Technological civilization only gets one shot at making it. The reason is technological civilization consumes everything available to advance. Remember the aliens in the movie Independence Day? They is us. I don't mean to frighten you but I do mean to shock some of you awake to the reality of what is happening.

I will state again the problem, finite resources limit consumption. All the money in the world will not solve the problem of resource allocation. The purpose in providing the link to a fish study is to acquaint you with how a population uses things in its environment to sustain its survival. And that is what we are talking about here, not paying some bills and saving a little money for retirement. We are talking about the future and whether we can sustain ourselves in a world of dwindling resources.

http://fl.water.usgs.gov/cesi/ddl_modelingfish_proj.htm

#33     Oct 22, 2003
  4. May the Saints preserve us!

Now they are bringing up sci-fi movies to back up their arguments. Does it get any better then this?

Someone, anyone, shut this pig down before any more damage is done. What if young children are reading this claptrap?

#34     Oct 22, 2003
  5. Dude, just so we're square: SHUT UP

#35     Oct 22, 2003
  6. Yes I second that. You add nothing to this discussion. Shutup!

#36     Oct 22, 2003
  7. That's all right. I'll not post such controversial stuff on this board, again. When I have something more to say I'll post it in my journal. Sorry to you who are offended.

#37     Oct 22, 2003
  8. But what about the liquidity trap?

#38     Oct 30, 2003
  9. simstim

simstim

I thought it was fine, it seems some people just dont understand the word "metaphor".

#39     Oct 30, 2003
  10. Hey, thanks a lot! I gotta keep movin' tonight.

Here is a little something that has been around and 'round...

http://members.bellatlantic.net/~vze3y3t2/whmte.htm

#40     Oct 30, 2003