Ebert on Palin: Two Thumbs Down

Discussion in 'Politics' started by kut2k2, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Great minds think alike! :D I enjoy reading your posts as well. Occasionally a little extreme, but fact based none the less. I'm sure that comment will stir the pot. :eek:
    Seriously, I find your posts quite informative and straight to the point.

#21     Sep 12, 2008
  2. Obama is what he is, and we already know what that is...an empty suit.

How exactly do we know that?

I'd like to see them take a stronger stance on illegal immigration, but I doubt I'll be satisfied on that front.

Immigration is an issue, to be sure. However I find it surprising that with a 10 trillion dollar national debt (held by quite a few 'unfriendly' countries), rampant energy prices, inflation, a war in Iraq and afghanistan, unemployment, housing prices, Iran trying to develop nuclear weapons, and Russia invading a small (potential UN member) country, you think immigration is a key issue?

I tend to agree with your view of Obama as a threat for more and bigger wars, but not because he's a war monger. IMO, the threat is greater with him because he'll over react in an attempt to prove he isn't a limp wristed pussy.

Interesting how you first say he's an empty suite, you then imply here that he will react harshly, provoking a bigger war. Do you have a degree is psychoanalysis? I doubt we here can make any reasonable assumptions. However if you are bent on trying your time would be better spent thinking on the issue a little harder. I can understand your idea that Obama has something to prove. We may be wrong, but I think that alone does make sense. However I'm not sure why you think that it is only to prove "he isnt a limp wristed pussy". Do you think a poor black man would go all the way from Hawaii to Columbia to Harvard (where he was the first black editor of the law review) then on to community service, the state legislature, the senate and then a presidential candidate all to prove "he's not a pussy"? No. You don't get that far because you want to prove you aren't something, you get that far because you want to prove you ARE something. Sure I can agree that he's out to prove something, he's out to prove he can be a better president, and a better leader for the whole country. Whether you believe he will be or not is up for debate, however I think we can all agree, if he's out to prove something, that something (that he's been fighting for all his life) is probably a great leader. Once again, whether he will be or not, is another issue.

#22     Sep 12, 2008
  3. Your civil response deserves an answer and has some points well taken.
    I contend that illegal immigration is a key issue because it's longer term than all the other issues you cited. The financial burden in the coming years will break the back of our economy. IMO, and it's only my opinion, the other issues will be effectively dealt with over the course of the next 5 years regardless of which party is in the white house. Neither party is presenting a "viable" plan for illegal immigration.
    I see him, Obama, as more of a threat on the war front because of his left leaning history. He will be faced with difficult decisions and I fear he may err to the extreme just to counter his being labeled as a pacifist.
    The other points you made are matters of opinion. Mine differ from yours and that's OK. I just don't see his accomplishments as all that spectacular. Whichever party takes home the victory our country is in for a rough ride.

#23     Sep 12, 2008
  4. Yannis

Yannis

WHY SHE REALLY SCARES THEM
    By DICK MORRIS & EILEEN MCGANN

"For two weeks, Democrats and their media allies have leveled scorching fire at Sarah Palin. It's not having much effect, but they keep at it anyway.

The latest Fox News poll shows Palin with a 54-27 favorable/unfavorable ratio, which compares well with Barack Obama's 57-36, John McCain's 60-33 and Joe Biden's 51-29. (Of the four, she's the most popular).

Why do Democrats feel so threatened? They've even stopped attacking McCain and President Bush to launch a vicious and sexist barrage at her that would normally make a feminist angry and a Democrat blush.

Basically, it's this: John McCain only endangers Democratic chances of victory this November, but Sarah Palin is an existential threat to the Democratic Party.

She threatens a core element of the party's base - women

When an African-American like Clarence Thomas, Colin Powell or Condi Rice rises to prominence as a Republican, he or she endangers the Democratic coalition. So would a Republican labor leader.

And so, above all, does the woman Republican running for vice president.

Democrats can't stomach seeing the feminist movement's impetus for greater female political participation and empowerment "hijacked" by a pro-life woman who espouses traditional values. They must obliterate her, lest her popularity eat away at their party's core.

So the Democrats are hysterical in their attacks on her. South Carolina's Democratic Party chairwoman, Carol Fowler (wife of a national party chairman), said that the only qualification Palin had for vice president was that she hadn't had an abortion. Tabloids are digging up dirt on Palin's children. And liberal bloggers have suggested that Palin would neglect her children if she were elected (while the Democratic candidate has young children at home, too).

That liberals would resort to such blatant sexism shows their desperation.

But the Fox News poll of Sept. 8-9 indicates a deeper reality of Palin's popularity. On the question of which of the four candidates best understands what day-to-day life is like in America, Palin finished first, with 33 percent. (Obama drew 32 percent, McCain 17 percent and Biden 10 percent.)

She's not popular because she's a radical feminist or pro-choice advocate. It's because she understands what it's like to be a woman in 21st century America.

She's never ascended to the elite, so she doesn't need to stoop to conquer as most well-heeled feminist leaders must. She lives far from the plastic pseudoreality where a fossilized ideology substitutes for human compassion and empathy. As such, she rises above the slogans of both the left and the right and proposes to bring to Washington a dose of reality - a taste of real life.

She may become the first woman in national office - yet the Democrats, feminists and liberals can't control her, and that burns them up.

Elections come and go, but Palin is a far more fundamental threat to the Democratic Party. And that's why they fear her so."

#24     Sep 12, 2008
  5. pam anderson can't stand palin, the bitch.

#25     Sep 12, 2008