EBay's Skype Bubble Bursts

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by THE-BEAKER, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Women CEO's have historically destroyed more shareholder value than they have generated. Ebay can easily double its market cap by turning paypal into a full fledged online banking and financial enterprise for its members.

#11     Oct 3, 2007
  2. bluud

bluud

PayPal sucks ... it's junk ... their service is crap ... and the worst thing (for customers but best for them) is there is no real competitor in this field

#12     Oct 4, 2007
  3. bluud

bluud

people get bored of things real fast ... yahoo was God sometime until they started powering their search engine with google then after that google got all famous ... but I wouldn't say google is there forever ... would you?

#13     Oct 4, 2007
  4. AK100

AK100

Personally I feel that in time (next 5 years) Goog's purchase of YouTube will look like THE internet deal of the last 10 years.

We'll see.

#14     Oct 4, 2007
  5. I find it funny how GOOG says/thinks they are going to make money with Youtube?! All these "viewers", how exactly are they going to turn them into money? These companies acquire websites with millions of hits a day that make ZERO money. No business model whatsoever.

Oh yea online advertising :p

#15     Oct 4, 2007
  6. http://checkout.google.com is stepping up to Paypal

#16     Oct 4, 2007
  7. AK100

AK100

GOOG via YouTube basically owns video on the web and if that's not worth $1.6b then I don't know what is.

Making money out of video is not going to be that hard and in fact it's just starting.

Within a year most if not all youtube clips will have a 5-15 sec advert before you can see the clip.

You can't do that with a Skype call.

#17     Oct 4, 2007
  8. This is how people talk that have no idea about making money on the net. "Youtube basically owns video". Sure, just like Altavista owned search, or how Hotmail owned email, or how ICQ owned instant messaging.

Entry barriers (especially capital requirements) in online are extremely small compared to brick and mortar industries and leadership often changes every 24-36 months. All of these billion dollar acquisitions are wide open to be threatened tomorrow by little college kid setups that are being started today with no capital whatsoever but might turn out to be the next big thing and take away all the eyeballs from Youtube, Facebook or heck knows what garbage vaporware setup.

#18     Oct 4, 2007
  9. Pekelo

Pekelo

There ARE already similar sites on the web like Youtube. If they start to show ads, people will just switch...

In IT things and positions can change very fast...

#19     Oct 4, 2007
  10. Anybody here remember when Yahoo acquired Geocities for like $1 bln or whatever in 2000/2001. Yea, they owned "free hosting" for surfers LMAO. Now it's dead. $1 bln blown out of the window.

#20     Oct 4, 2007