EBAY.. short sandwich

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Trend Fader, May 27, 2003.

1. deja vu... this same exact kind of thread was opened a month ago...EBAY at that point was treading $80's...everyone was talking about going short...yada yada yada....i forgot who....but someone said his strategy was simply to buy EBAY at the open and sell at the close everyday...he has made some nice bling bling...

so what happened to all of those shorts in the early $80's???? where will this thread be in 30 days.....will EBAY be in the $115ish range and potentially looking at a stock split announcement?? stranger things have happened...the key question here in the broader sense is if you think this rally has legs or not....since summer is coming and many folks riding this wave have already made a ton of money, i think in the next month you will be hard pressed to find buyers outnumbering sellers still...

the last 8 months has been typical of the past...with that being said, market bottoms in fall...rallies around halloween..consolidates into X-mas...has two big leg ups from Jan to late spring and finally breaks down into summer when the realization sets in that the economy is not going to improve as much as we thought...

long story short....EBAY has been making higher highs for days now...blowing through multi year highs...i think at this point, we are getting closer to the end of this run...timing is everything....good luck to all speculators.....

#11     May 27, 2003
  2. Banjo

Banjo

3. Of course not, no company is.

Using that logic though, EBAY was also a great short at $50 (50 x earnings). How many of us are willing to take that kind of heat?

Personally, I think there are far better uses of time and money than trying to outwait the stockmarket.

#13     May 27, 2003
  4. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

I think you'll be in the money soon. It's getting way ahead of itself. And the $35 million they have to pay in the patent case can't be seen as a positive. And if they have to alter how they do business then it could get real interesting.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/030527/ebay_lawsuit_8.html

#14     May 27, 2003

5. I don't think this really has any major implications for the way EBAY does business. But yeah, something like this could be a catalyst for a breakdown. The interesting thing will be to see how the market takes it.

#15     May 27, 2003
  6. 40Deuce

40Deuce

just sniffing out the next 'bubble'

#16     May 27, 2003
  7. Babak

Babak

As well as the already mentioned law-suit they have two others against their PayPal division which can materially affect them.

So already 14% of profits gone! Poof! and the PE from 100 to 120+ with the possibility of moving much higher, to say, 300. That is if they lose the other two. On ISLD it went down 56c in extended trading. Lets see what happens tomorrow.

But who says the bubble is over? :D

#17     May 27, 2003
  8. JT47319

JT47319

As a "daytrader", I have to ask, since when do fundamentals matter? Ever? Do I really need to know what a company makes or does to make money off of it?

I look at chart patterns and TA. I know candlesticks, head & shoulders, CCI, ADX, volume, open interest, COT, Auction Market Theory, Fibonacci, seasonality, market breadth, RSI, oscillators, sentiment/contrarian indicators, IPO Monthly Total, Mutual fund money flow, Dow Theory, short interest/ratio, stochastics, moving averages, Herrick Payoff Index, support, and resistance.

Hmm, let me look in my handy-dandy Encyclopedia of Technical Market Indicators.... Nope, just as I thought, don't find P/E ratio in there either. Must not be important.

#18     May 28, 2003
  9. Who the hell is trading off of fundamentals in here? Are you actually going to trust in this post Enron, post Tyco, Imclone, etc era, PE ratios, earnings reports, etc?

what the hell does "Is it worth XXX times earnings mean?"

TRADE THE FREAKING STOCK

the MARKET determines the PRICE

that is M-A-R-K-E-T

no PE ratios, not some banker named Quatronne, not the talking heads on CNBC, not you, not me.

the MARKET decides price. It IS WORTH (todays price) TODAY. Believe me. On today, it IS worth today's price.

For all of you who shorted at 80 because it was "high", what are you doing now? I suppose 100 is "very high". Are you guys related to the people who bought Enron at 60, then again at 40, since it was "a better deal."

you guys really floor me

#19     May 28, 2003
  10. I'm not a patent lawyer but my guess is they will end up paying nothing on these cases. It's hard for me to see what there could be patentable about an on line auction. It's called the obviousness test, and it means your patent is no good if it's obvious. Just because the Patent Office issues a patent means nothing. You fill out the form and they issue the patent is pretty much how it works. A court can invalidate that patent in a NY minute and plenty of times that's just what happens. Courts tend to be very skeptical of patents, particularly when no one really invented anything and is just trying to be a parasite.

This judgment is just the initial round. There will be multiple appeals.

#20     May 28, 2003