eBay fined $63m for selling fake Louis Vuitton

Discussion in 'Wall St. News' started by noparole, Jun 30, 2008.

1. noparole

noparole

2. this rulling will be overturned.

Ebay sells nothing, its a conduit between buyers/sellers. Suing them is like suing the electrical company because your house burned down due to a short circuit.

How about holding Ebay liable if your in an accident in a car you bought on Ebay?

see what i mean?

surf:mad:

3. You make a valid point.
    However, if Ebay decides it's not worth the $$ to defend themselves in European courts from the flood of suits this might provide, they'll shut out quite a few sellers, which means lower profits, etc. etc.
    Or, just not take sellers with any EU address.
    I don't think Ebay accepts sellers with a Nigerian address, do they?

4. Napster got sued to the depths of hell and they were just a conduit, too. Same with BitTorrent sites.

QUOTE]Quote from marketsurfer:

this rulling will be overturned.

Ebay sells nothing, its a conduit between buyers/sellers. Suing them is like suing the electrical company because your house burned down due to a short circuit.

How about holding Ebay liable if your in an accident in a car you bought on Ebay?

see what i mean?

surf:mad:
    [/QUOTE]

5. Very different. napster created a way to distribute stolen music, it has no other purpose. napster does not exist without stolen music transfer. ebay exists despite counterfit goods and actually has a division dedicated to eradicating same from the site, napster encouraged copyright infringement, ebay discourages it.

huge difference.

surf

[/QUOTE]

6. noparole

noparole

I'm totally with you on this.I'm actually surprised they ruled against eBay,they've got their own division especially to prevent the sale of counterfeit goods,to be honest I don't see how they can be held accountable at all,a really unfair decision,maybe Louis Vuitton should send their lawyers down to Battery Park,you can get all the fake crap down there 24/7.

7. ElCubano

ElCubano

NO...it's more like suing FPL for supllying electricity to 10) 1000 watt bulbs in a grow house which just got busted ..... :D