Ebay "deteriorating" - mass layoffs expected

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by taodr, Sep 15, 2008.

1. shipping isnt the real issue, the major issue is their fees and paypal. shipping is a small part of it, but thats a given when shopping online.

one thing that was completely outlandish was the purchase of skype.

#11     Sep 16, 2008
  2. I think that he means, the often exorbitant shipping charged by sellers trying to get extra profit is driving customers away. That is one of the allures of Amazon - they limit the shipping that a vendor can charge.

#12     Sep 17, 2008
  3. I may be wrong but wasn't the idea of what looked like ridiculously high shipping a way around not paying the full percentage of the sale to eBay as they didn't charge their percentage points of the shipping cost,just the actual sale price of the item i.e. something is worth $30 with $5 shipping but sell it for $5 and charge $30 for the shipping so you only pay eBay for technically a $5 sale,pretty sneaky eh?

Ultimately all items find their price with shipping included,if shipping is way over-priced,people will just factor that in and only bid so far.

#13     Sep 17, 2008
  4. I am big and professional ebay seller.
    All ebay + paypal fees /including relisting/ costs me about 14% of BRUTTO sales.

Futhermore for example: Item is lost and not insured. Paypal claim and I am without money.
    Packet unclaimed? I need pay for return delivery.
    Buyer does not want pay for shipping second times? I must do it because otherwise paypal claim and I am without money again.

Custom documents, real packing charge, etc, etc. Fees are huge. And you expect that I will pay even from these costs 14% to ebay and paypal?
    It is logical that some of these cost I include in shipping. It must be higher than actual postage.

Buyer always need calculate item price + shipping, by combined packet ask if does not understand combining policy.
    If it is honestly declared on auction page I do not see any problem for buyer.

$1 item + $29 shipping or $30+ free shipping is no difference for buyer.

#14     Sep 17, 2008
  5. rawfist

rawfist

Their new feedback system that puts all the power in the buyers hands has killed off sellers and their core business.. corporate suicide

#15     Sep 17, 2008
  6. bbqbbq

bbqbbq

paypal is based on credit... problem is funds in paypal are directly spendable even, but creditcards are not checked if stolen... hacked paypal accounts you can wreck havoc for 1000's of dollars..
    it would help alot if everytime a payment is made from a paypal there will be a text message sent to a mobile phone.. that way owners of paypal accounts will imediately know (assuming they have cellphone) if their paypal is hacked.
    because of the way the paypal payments are set-up scammers can easily scam people(sellers) because paypal makes the merchant pay for stolen creditcard payments and reverses payments in one day to several weeks, leaving sellers without money and items.
    both sellers and buyers abuse loopholes that already exists for several years.
    because of creditbased spending on paypal a merchant will always put 10% away for scammed funds, and also 10% away for shipping, 10% for fees... merchant get stolen out of their pockets.. but theres no alternative. I wouldn't know either how they would be able to decrease scamming and increase safety.

#16     Sep 17, 2008
  7. WRONG!!! The history of Ebay, is that many vendors would try and tempt with low prices, and try to hide exorbitant shipping charges. They knew some buyers would not notice this when bidding, and now they were already hooked as having to purchase it.

This is very well known to the public. It has nothing to do with the poor vendor trying to make up his losses.

#17     Sep 17, 2008
  8. i do the same thing, i have to purchase XL boxes for the items i ship, the boxes cost me money which i pass on to the customer. same as any other business.

#18     Sep 17, 2008
  9. Chausey

Chausey

BULL SHIT! Traderzones is correct, the math proves out, it's the same price. Sellers do this to escape high final value fees.
    To make matters worst for ebay, they are now limiting shipping charges in some categories. This is driving more sellers out. Many powersellers have received phone calls from ebay and are asked to hang in there with the new system. Many are not happy, especially when ebay is now going to take away the ability to receive checks or money orders. Ebay is putting itself out of business with incompetent management.

#19     Sep 17, 2008
  10. kxvid

kxvid

1) Ebay is increasing the paypal + sold item fee to 12.5% september 24th.

2) Ebay will start forcing people to use paypal in October as the only method of payment.

Ebay is gonna go down the tubes. Excellent stock to buy low cost OTM puts with a long expiration. This market is not kind to high P/E stocks like fleabay, the stock is set for dramatic price declines.

#20     Sep 17, 2008