EBAY Changes Feedback System- Sales about to Plummet?

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by Rearden Metal, May 5, 2008.

1. Atheist

Atheist

I've a side biz that my partner runs. On the ebay side we ship over 100+ pkg a day. I only show up to work when my partner is out of the country on purchasing or vacation. Been a gold seller or something few years already. We also advertised and sell the same merchandise in different places but at a 30% to 50% higher prices.

Anyhow, we get on avg 300-500 emails and maybe 30-40 calls a day mostly from ebay buyers. From my experience ebay buyers are much more impolite, rude, demanding, like to threaten w/actions, fraud, etc... in both emails and phone conversations than my other sources of sales.

Also, about 5% of the ebay users' email address and phone # are bad, mostly because they change to a new address and never update their profile. Which we always get blame for bad communication.

Another things is we've a 30 days refund/exchange/repair period on most of the item we sell but ebay buyers are more likely to file a complain, dispute, charge back, and neg feedback after the 30 days period.

As for feedbacks, ebay has a automated feature that leave a +fb when a new one is receive. Which save us lots of time. For those who demands us to give a +fb 1st just does not understand how the system operate and is usually the complainers that wants to use fb with alteria motives.

From my perspectives as a seller with around 70000 feedbacks, I've no reason to cheat or steal from anyone, as I need repeat customers to stay in biz and ultimately, higher profits. But I cannot say the same for some of my ebay buyers.

#51     May 8, 2008
  2. GGSAE

GGSAE

Explain to me how the power is all in their hands?

#52     May 8, 2008
  3. cstfx

cstfx

It's the principle. Also, bad feedback can affect what you may be allowed to buy. You, and others, say just create a new ID. Everyone does. But I shouldn't have to. Just like I shouldn't pay for a mandatory gratuity at a restaurant when I get shitty service. And then they have the balls to email you to beg you to leave feedback and THEN they will do the same.

But that's just me. I guess I come from a different era.

BTW, when does the new feedback policy take effect? I have been stockpiling a few recent transactions for when they can't retaliate.

#53     May 8, 2008
  4. Atheist

Atheist

Your are exactly the type ebay buyers that that large ebay seller experiences everyday.

#54     May 8, 2008
  5. <i>Explain to me how the power is all in their hands?</i>

--->Overgrown toddler ebay buyer: "I received my item today, and got exactly what I paid for; However, I didn't bother to properly read your description and terms, so now it's time for me to start whining like a little douche.
    When I hold it under my magnifying glass, I can clearly see a few microscopic flaws- Not on the item itself, but on the protective case around it. I'd say that entitles me to at least a 50% refund, wouldn't you agree? I mean, I'd just <i>hate</i> for anything bad to happen to your feedback rating..."

Get it now?

<i>BTW, when does the new feedback policy take effect? I have been stockpiling a few recent transactions for when they can't retaliate.</i>

--->It already took effect on May 1st.

#55     May 8, 2008
  6. Ebay revenues won't affected at all by this.

#56     May 8, 2008
  7. ssblack

ssblack

This is so true. Sounds exactly like some of my wife's family.

#57     May 8, 2008
  8. You're being naive. Buyer can say that the item is "not as described", charge back the paypal and send you back empty package. Paypal will freeze your money for 180 days and eventually side with the buyer, he's got the proof that he sent the "item" back. What are you going to do?

"The buyer can only receive positive feedback". lol

#58     May 8, 2008
  9. GGSAE

GGSAE

This is where ebay's supposed stance on extortion is supposed to have an affect. This happened to a friend of mine that's a big seller on ebay, he forwarded it to them and to his surprise they took action and wiped away the extortionist buyer's account. I know ebay in the past couldn't care less with disputes, but if they stick to their guns on situations like this they can crack down on certain behavior.

#59     May 8, 2008
  10. I rarely sell stuff on Ebay but I sort of understand why they do that. You pay for the item, he leaves you feedback and you don't. Seller gets pissed of and stops giving feedback.

#60     May 8, 2008