EasyLanguage Question

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by tdefarlo, Apr 26, 2002.

1. Gena1,

I was able to get EL to look into it. This should do it for you!

{ This study is to be applied to a multi-data chart where data 1 would be
    an intra-day chart and data 2 a daily chart.

Since volume begins low for the day and accumulates during the day,
    cross-under's are not to be expected }

Inputs:
    TradeData( volume ),
    LengthOfHistory( 5 );

Variables:
    HistoricalHigh( 0 ),
    HistoricalLow( 0 ),
    MovingAverage( 0 ),
    IntraDayVolAccum( 0 ) ; { Intraday volume accumulator }

HistoricalHigh = Highest( TradeData, LengthOfHistory ) Data2;
    HistoricalLow = Lowest( TradeData, LengthOfHistory ) Data2;
    MovingAverage = Average( TradeData, LengthOfHistory ) Data2;

If Date <> Date[1] then
    IntraDayVolAccum = TradeData;

IntraDayVolAccum = IntraDayVolAccum + TradeData;

Plot1( IntraDayVolAccum, "IDVol" );
    Plot2( HistoricalHigh, "HisHigVol" );
    Plot3( HistoricalLow, "HisLowVol" );
    Plot4( MovingAverage, "MovAvg" );

If IntraDayVolAccum crosses over HistoricalHigh then
    Alert( "Volume has reached new high" );
    If IntraDayVolAccum crosses over HistoricalLow then
    Alert( "Volume has crossed over low" );
    If IntraDayVolAccum crosses over MovingAverage then
    Alert( "Volume has crossed over daily volume average" );

Hope this helps!
    Doreen

#81     Jul 10, 2002
  2. mktman

mktman

Trying to setup multi data chart with id and daily.
    Daily wont work right no time frame just current day showing.
    Any suggestions?

Thx.

mktman

#82     Jul 10, 2002
  3. For those of you looking for more EL and Technical help, I would recommend you visit TradeStationWorld.com It is a brand new on-line community offered by TradeStation Technologies, which is the developer of the TradeStation 6 platform. TradeStation Technologies is not a provider of brokerage or investment services of any kind. You will be able to chat with other TradeStation users, and you will find many EL studies and answers to most of your questions. Of course, you can post your questions there as well. We just announced this site yesterday and the response has been incredible!

Doreen

#83     Jul 10, 2002
  4. Kymar

Kymar

Ms. Diamond,

I very much appreciate your willingness to help us out, but I believe that what Gena and I have been discussing was an indicator that would compare the volume at any given time during the day to the volume at the same time on a previous day or on average for that time.

So far, the only way that I've been able to do that is to use an array, as described earlier. The indicator I wrote was specifically intended for use on Nasdaq volume ($TVOLQ), and I've never gotten around to re-writing it for individual stocks. For my purposes, being able to register the comparison every hour is also pretty much adequate . If your EL dept. has a better way of doing it - or a real slick way of doing it with an array - please let us know!

The indicator that you've provided might be useful at least for alerting a user to very unusual volume "events," though also, I believe due to the way that the Nasdaq counts volume (in effect doubling vs. NYSE), the indicator as written gives peculiar results - the volume on the daily time frame comes out as close to (though not exactly) twice the "IDVol" at the end of the day - as in the attachment. Nasdaq traders might want to put in some code to double the intraday totals.

Thanks again...

#84     Jul 10, 2002
  5. DaveN

DaveN

Kymar,

Check out Robert Linders PushPOP dll. It is free, and he will be posting it soon to www.traders2traders.com

http://www.purebytes.com/archives/omega/2002/msg06233.html is his recent posting to the Omega list.
    See the description for the Function "Yesterday". I believe he is adding this for all of the users of Mark Brown's Oddball trading system, which compares ADVANCING issues with those at the same time of the previous day. It hasn't been downloaded yet, so I can't tell you how it works. This is a new feature in Version 6 from Robert. I use version 5 on a regular basis and it works great, so I'm looking forward to this next one!

#85     Jul 10, 2002
  6. Kymar

Kymar

DaveN,

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check it out. Haven't yet ventured into the world of DLLs, but I suppose it's inevitable. May even be kind of fun.

What I'd really love, without having to wait for THE upgrade, is an add-on that allowed me to fill the Order Bar with a symbol just by clicking on a chart, quote, or other object. An "automatic" option would also be terrific. Even a macro that simply extracted the ticker symbol and placed it on the clipboard, allowing a quick paste into the OB, would be an improvement. Every time there's some minor TS upgrade, I always hope that they've thrown in an order entry improvement along these lines with whatever else they're addressing. I know about the L2-doubleclick option - rather cumbersom and impractical.

#86     Jul 10, 2002
  7. DaveN

DaveN

That would be a nice feature. I'm sure that over time they will add some of those in, although it seems that Tradestation Technologies is moving back towards the software side of things rather than the brokerage business.

Since I have so much invested in my collected data (along with an extensive history), I have opted to stay with TS2000i instead of moving to TS6.

#87     Jul 10, 2002