Easter: The silliest story ever told

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Free Thinker, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Isn't it fascinating? How do you come to believe in a fairly tale like this? Is it early inculcation? It must be. I like the part about the Ram with 26 eyes floating down from the sky and the earth opening up and a lake of fire and brimstone appearing. That bit is cool. Kind of like an acid trip. In fact, didn't I read something lately about how the Bible may have been written by guys under the influence of mushrooms or some other psychotropic substance? That would explain all the bizarre shit in there.

I see the Vatican said today that they consider the pedophilic sex horrors visited by Christians on innocent children to be 'gossip'. Gotta love that one. Clearly they have lawyered up and are being instructed to say nothing. Strange, because with their wealth, they could give a million dollars in cash to every child whose life they ruined and still be flush. It would be in the hundreds of thousands, but they've got the whack.

By the way, I just watched Jesus Christ Superstar. I didn't know that Mary Magdalene was a prostitute!

#11     Apr 5, 2010
  2. You just don't have any logical answers, you and the pikers just duck and bullshit away since rationality isnt exactly your forte.

#12     Apr 5, 2010
  3. a child could see through this silly childish myth but evidently peil is not as smart as a child.

how many resurrection narratives are there in the bible? you would think that a so called perfect god writing a perfect book could get his story straight. what do bible scholars say? hint. four different versions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-2Erne8ddM

Bart D. Ehrman is an American New Testament scholar and textual critic of early Christianity. He is the James A. Gray Distinguished Professor and Chair of the Department of Religious Studies at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

#13     Apr 5, 2010
  4. BFD does that bother you?

It doesn't bother me at all.

Of course what I find funny is an atheist using some New testament scholar for credibility.

Scholars like that are either taken out of context or lead pretty sad lives.

Now if you fools would spend a little more energy learning vs ridiculing and supposedly debunking your time might be more productive.
    If not I suggest moving on to something you can understand.

Scholars :D :D :eek:

#14     Apr 5, 2010
  5. I had to take religion in order to graduate. I took the old testiment and the teachings of Jesus. I knew that I was going to hate these courses but I was wrong.

The professor, who was pushing 80, was great because he spent most of the time debunking the bible.

Some of the things I remember is that he said that the virgin mary didn't have the virgin birth until 200 years after her death and that the bible was full of crap like that. Great guy. I miss him.

By the way. I almost didn't graduate because I failed chapel, my senior year. But that's another story.:D

#15     Apr 5, 2010
  6. Speaking of silly ass stories, here's a good one:
    Once upon a time there was nothing, I mean nothing, zero, zilch, nada'. No time, no space, no matter, no nothing. THEN, for no particular reason nothing blew up, real big like, get r done style. From the nothing explosion came everything we now know, and it all came about by random accident. And why has all this happened? No reason, it just did.
    Now that's a fucking story!

#16     Apr 5, 2010
  7. Whereas a sky daddy is more plausible?

#17     Apr 5, 2010
  8. nothing beats bible stories for nonsense. the bible is loaded with nonsense. but people like you and peil are not smart enough to think these stories through.

how about this one.in this bible story the character believed that if his livestock would breed in front of striped sticks they would produce striped offspring.

Genesis 30:37-39 (English Standard Version)

37Then(A) Jacob took fresh sticks of poplar and almond and plane trees, and peeled white streaks in them, exposing the white of the sticks. 38He set the sticks that he had peeled in front of the flocks in the troughs, that is, the(B) watering places, where the flocks came to drink. And since they bred when they came to drink, 39the flocks bred in front of the sticks and so the flocks brought forth striped, speckled, and spotted.

#18     Apr 5, 2010
  9. I never said it was more plausible. I only introduce the pot to the kettle where appropriate. People are free to believe whatever floats their boat.

#19     Apr 5, 2010
  10. Speaking of pots and kettles and floating boats, I came across this somewhere:

CHRISTIANITY: The belief that some cosmic zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept his as his master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. Zombie Jesus died for your sins and then came back for your brains. Makes perfect sense.

#20     Apr 5, 2010