East Coast vs. West Coast

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by orion19, Nov 12, 2008.

1. orion19

orion19

I'm preparing to send out applications for MBA programs in the next few months. I'm aiming to focus in finance and parlay into a trading career. Here's my question:

I live in California and would eventually like to raise a family here. One option is to focus schools on the west coast in hopes of networking myself into a position after graduation. The other option is to aim for east coast schools (where decidedly most of the trading action is) and hope to find work on the west coast after graduation. Has anyone (that works for an institution) had any experience working on each coast that could offer some advice?

If it makes any difference, I believe I'm competitive at several tier 1 schools. I'd want to compare the advantages of NYU and Harvard to Berkeley and Stanford.

Thanks in advance.

2. dancalio

dancalio

I know nothing about those specifics. But it seems to me that trading on the West Coast can be troublesome since work starts so early.

3. lindq

lindq

Based on my own experience, you should go to school where you intend to remain, whichever coast that is.

I'd wanted to spend my life on the West Coast, but decided to go to school on the East Coast with the intention of returning west. But it never happened. I got involved in internships, relationships, first job, starting company, etc. etc.

You'll develop a lot of connections and 'sense-of-place' while in school, and it can be tough just to give that all up.

4. As an outsider looking in, I would really love to live in and trade in California. However, I am someone with over 20 years experience (in UK and European markets) and can pretty much trade from anywhere. So if you want to learn about US markets, then I believe you need to be at school as close to Wall Street as possible.

5. How much does the 'morning person' factor enter in? I know that I am a morning person and I don't mind rising at 6am for the open, but I suppose some folks are either naturally or decidedly not morning people.

I have traded from a dozen time zones, and can do well anywhere between 6am and 8pm. Overnight hours Pacific Time are not conducive to happy trading, so while Europe is fine for evening trading, Asia, Australia and the Arab states would be out, as would any Asian session of forex.