Earth to Republican party

Discussion in 'Politics' started by CaptainObvious, Apr 30, 2009.

1. Given that Mandarin is my native language-I didn't learn English until the mid-90's (my 8th language btw) I do pretty good.

#31     Apr 30, 2009

2. :D

#32     Apr 30, 2009
  3. And your point is?

#33     Apr 30, 2009
  4. This is an example of what I'm trying to point out. The Repubs are allowing the Left to frame the debate. Someone needs to stand up and say, in no uncertain terms, the past is the past. The Dems and their media associates just keep railing about Bush and his 8 years of drunken sailor spending, and the Repubs keep talking about what Reagan would do. That's a loser for the Repubs.
    Meanwhile Obama nationalizes the whole damn country as the radical left jumps for joy.

#34     Apr 30, 2009
  5. What would you have the Repubs do? Their entire play book at this point seems to be only opposition and kicking out moderates and listening to marching orders from Boss Limbaugh.

I'd love to hear something constructive from them.

#35     Apr 30, 2009
  6. Republicans don't seem to get it. Nixon's had to go because of watergate not overwhelming perception of incompetence. So when the country was perceived to be stagnating under Carter people chose Reagan.

Here we have a republican president who went out being perceived to be a moron(totally different situation). Republicans have no ideas other than saying NO and preaching the mythical joys of conservatism. That Palin is not laughed out everywhere she goes says a lot about state of the Republican party.

#36     Apr 30, 2009
  7. That's pretty much spot on. They got jack squat at this point except to say "no."

Sad to say at this point they're taking their orders from Limbaugh whether they want to admit it or not.

#37     Apr 30, 2009
  8. Cutten

Cutten

That's a huge difference, how come there isn't more exodus from California? For $68k a year you could commute by helicopter and still save money.

#38     Apr 30, 2009

9. My point is........ well done. No sarcasm intended.

#39     Apr 30, 2009
  10. Cutten

Cutten

Well, they need something different from Obama & co, and they need to appeal to a good chunk of the political centre. Here's some options for them:

1. Cut wasteful government spending by huge amounts.
    2. Pass on a lot of the cuts (e.g. 50%) into tax cuts at the lower end of the income scale.
    3. Immediately leave Iraq.
    4. Cease all aid to corrupt foreign regimes.
    5. Regulatory reform - have 1 financial regulator instead of half a dozen. Give a clear mandate for arresting credit bubbles, along with the normal anti-fraud stuff.
    6. Stop the bailouts & insane subsidies to bankers, only intervene temporarily for the purpose of stability (like JP Morgan in 1907), rather than try to take over half the banking system.
    7. Have a 3 year plan to get the budget into surplus, then keep it there until national debt gets into single digit % levels.
    8. End the war on drugs and treat it as a health/medical/psychological issue. Huge amounts of $$$ saved on law enforcement, prisons, hospital treatment etc.
    9. Instead of the visa lottery and immigration BS, mandate a maximum number of migrants per annum, and auction green cards to the highest bidders.

#40     Apr 30, 2009