Earth Day Predictions

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Arnie, Apr 22, 2013.

1. That you don't know how AGW can cause cold spells is evidence of your ignorance on the subject.

#41     Apr 23, 2013
  2. That you don't know how AGW can cause cold spells is just further proof of your ignorance on the subject.

#42     Apr 23, 2013
  3. +1 Damn profitable. Even more than cigarettes.

#43     Apr 23, 2013
  4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

I thought that global cooling from the 1970s caused cold spells.

Maybe we should just make up a list of what global warming is reponsible for:

1) Cold spells.
    2) Meteor impacts.
    3) Civil war in Syria.
    4) The fall of the Soviet Union.
    5) North Korean dictators.
    6) Fish with three eyes.
    7) Al Gore's $250 Million in riches from his climate hedge fund.
    8) Low cost prostitutes in Toronto.
    9) The meth epidemic
    10) MTV's Buckwild
    11) ...... feel free to add ....

#44     Apr 23, 2013
  5. pspr

pspr

What a fool. You'll eventually have to stop burying you head in the sand, futurecunt and accept the truth and the facts. It's going to get cold. The only question is how cold.

A new paper published in the Journal of Geophysical Research: Space Research shows solar activity peaked at the end of the 20th century, but predicts a strong decrease in solar activity until around 2100 AD to low levels similar to the Dalton Minimum.

http://hockeyschtick.blogspot.com/2013/04/new-paper-predicts-sharp-decline-in.html

#45     Apr 25, 2013
  6. And yet solar output has decreased since the seventies and still record high temps are occurring and the heat content of the earth is still rising.

The fact is that CO2 levels have gone up 35% in the last 150 years due to man. CO2 is a greenhouse gas. How could that NOT make temps go up? It's a very simple common sense thing......... that the fossil fuel industry doesn't want you to think about. The science is settled. 97% of the world's climatologists and all the world's science organizations are in agreement about it. The deniers just look foolish now.

#46     Apr 25, 2013
  7. Ricter

Ricter

America's air is getting cleaner - and less costly
    By Les Christie @CNNMoney April 24, 2013: 12:16 AM ET

NEW YORK (CNNMoney)
    "America's air is getting cleaner, which doesn't just mean a healthier public -- it also saves the U.S. billions of dollars.

"The American Lung Association's annual "State of the Air" report -- based on EPA findings for 2009 through 2011 -- found that the three types of air pollution they track have all declined.

"We are happy to report that the state of our air is much cleaner today than when we started the report 14 years ago," said Harold Wimmer, the ALA's CEO. "But the work is not done."

"The report covers short-term and year-round particle pollution, which includes dust, metals, smoke, exhaust and acids. It also measures ozone, which is created mainly from a reaction between sunlight and unburned gases in engine exhaust. These three types of pollution represent the most widespread airborne threats to people's health.

"About 132 million people in the United States, or 42% of the country's population, live in counties that have unhealthy levels of at least one form of air pollution. This can lead to asthma, cardiovascular issues, lung problems and premature death.

"All three [types of pollution] kill people and cause harm to those with respiratory problems," said Janice Nolen, lead author of the State of the Air report. "Particle pollution is more lethal, but ozone is dangerous too. Both need to be cleaned up."

"There's a huge economic benefit to alleviating these health risks, says Nolen. By 2020, the EPA estimates that the savings from cleaner air will total $2 trillion annually and cost just $65 billion to make the necessary improvements.

"The country is already seeing the benefits, according to the EPA: Improved air quality helped prevent 160,000 deaths in 2010 (the last year data was available); avoid 1.7 million asthma attacks; and reduce hospital admissions and emergency room visits by 86,000 each.

"Wimmer credited the Clean Air Act, first passed in 1963 and expanded over the years, with reducing pollutant levels. The EPA's latest proposal, set to kick in by 2017, will further purify engine exhaust by reducing sulfur content in gasoline.

"The agency will also continue its push to retrofit power plants, use more renewable power, switch to "greener" household products and burn natural gas instead of wood for heat.

"Separately, increased natural gas production in the U.S. will be a huge driver in improving air quality. A supply glut has dramatically reduced natural gas prices -- making it cheaper for power plants to burn than coal, and far cleaner. In 2012, for the first time ever, natural gas generated as much electricity as coal, and with energy production booming, this trend is likely to continue.

"As a state, California has led the nation in implementing clean-air programs, but its cities still consistently have the most serious pollution. High population densities, a dry and sunny climate, and topography that traps air all frustrate progress. Four cities in the Golden State -- Bakersfield, Fresno, Hanford, and Los Angeles -- are in the top 10 in all three categories of pollution and have been for years. Bakersfield had the worst air quality for any metro area for the third year in a row.

"Outside of California, Pittsburgh had the worst air quality, due to the toxic side effects from numerous coal-fired power plants in the region.

"A couple of cities made significant progress. Phoenix dropped out of the top 10 cities for year-round particle pollution, while San Diego's ozone levels improved enough to get it out of the top 10 as well."

#47     Apr 25, 2013
  8. he EPA estimates that the savings from cleaner air will total $2 trillion annually

Question:

Show me the cash.

---------------------

Ya know, I used to bake a potato in the oven,,,,uhmnnn. this took about >35 minutes..now I bake a potato in a microwave in 3 minutes...I saved a lot of time...where is it? C'mon, that time I saved...must be in a bank somewhere..ya got me....

This 2 trillion we save.....send me a check...

sort of like buying shit I don't need on sale. I think the 45% of the people who breath dirty air and have all these problems should move somewhere else..to the country perhaps......

ps. Do you realize how clean the air is in Detroit these days. :cool:

#48     Apr 25, 2013
  9. Ricter

Ricter

You may have wasted it here.

#49     Apr 25, 2013
  10. pspr

pspr

You can't even get your facts straight. solar output peaked in the 90's with the peak in temperatures. Since then we have been in a downward slope with temperatures.

Get a life somewhere you have an aptitude and leave the scientific discussion to those who know about science.

#50     Apr 25, 2013