Earnings strangles

Discussion in 'Options' started by akivak, Nov 15, 2011.

1. akivak

akivak

If this is your only comment, I'm in a good shape :)
    But point taken, the picture has been changed.

#11     Nov 30, 2011
  2. akivak

akivak

That's an excellent idea, thanks!

Which site would you recommend for the best definitions? Investopedia maybe? Any better ideas?

#12     Nov 30, 2011
  3. akivak

akivak

Actually this is exactly what I do, trading RUT and NDX condors

Volatility usually increases the most in the last few days. It is pricing the expected move, so if you leave it for earnings, then you need larger move than priced in by the options. But I sell before earnings, not after.

#13     Nov 30, 2011
  4. I would respectfully disagree. I think anyone sophisticated enough to be reading this article will already know those terms, or at least be able to Google them. I don't think he needs to "talk down to" his readership.

#14     Dec 1, 2011
  5. spindr0

spindr0

Not everyone knows everything about everything. Providing a link to a "definitions" page isn't talking down to someone. For the very "few" who don't understand every option term, it's a convenience, saving them the time of having to Google something and then having to sift through multiple sites to find what is sought. If you fully understand the content, you don't click the link to the "definitions" page.

So we respectfully agree to disagree. :)

#15     Dec 1, 2011
  6. spindr0

spindr0

If Investopedia provides explanations acceptable to you then you're done. If not, it's back to the options texts. :)

#16     Dec 1, 2011
  7. akivak

akivak

Investopedia has very brief explanations which I find not always sufficient. Not sure if it`s good or bad. For example, compare the definition for iron condor:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_condor
    http://www.theoptionsguide.com/iron-condor.aspx
    http://www.investopedia.com/terms/i/ironcondor.asp#axzz1fIE6rCk2

Which one would you prefer if you were a novice trader?

#17     Dec 1, 2011
  8. Why not provide your own brief definition in a sidebar, possibly with a link to an external resource such as those you list?

#18     Dec 1, 2011
  9. spindr0

spindr0

Here's the easy way out. Provide a number of links which AFAIK, is going above and beyond. A brief sidebar would explain that web sites provide explanations in various degree of depth and if the reader wants more complexity than that, he can Google away. Rather than sifting for the best explanation, write more articles that accelerate the learning curve.

#19     Dec 1, 2011
  10. 76132

Not wikipedia, too long and too much words, and it goes off on tangents.

I like the Options Guide since it lays it out to you what you need to buy/sell, is concise, and has graphs. And if I remember correctly, the pages are standardized so if I look at another strategy, I get the same sections on each one.

Investopedia is too short and no graphs.

#20     Dec 1, 2011