Earnings journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by TheBigShort, Jan 13, 2019.

1. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

I know! My strangle is sub $4 now. I am going to be doing some intraday research on closing the positions.
    I am not too sure if you have taken a look at the screener today. But we have lots of selling to do! We can finally diversify enough to get some meaningful returns. I won't have anytime to post fills until later in the day. Let me know what you jump in.

If anyone want's to take a stab at the optimal time to close these positions that would be greatly appreciated.

No problem! Nice to have you join the team. Yea JPM/GS straddles were perfect today. Let us know if you find any alpha along the way.

#601     Jul 16, 2019
  2. This is exactly what I have been thinking for the past few weeks. I feel like all my trades are too correlated to the VIX but was not sure how to actually implement something like this. Would love to read more or learn from your posts or videos. Thanks for sharing.

#602     Jul 16, 2019
    TheBigShort likes this.
  3. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

BK is a great long vol opportunity. It usually out paces the implied move. Right away on my news feed I see some analysts giving a 60% rally in BK others are saying it's a value trap. There is a lot more detail if you have the time to read the reports. Main take away is, this report is important. Commercial banks are greatly impacted by interest rates and I am sure there will be plenty of tough questions during the conference call regarding the potential rate cut. I got filled at 1.68 for the Jul19 43 straddle. Your max loss on this trade in the morning is .70 cents. Great r:r

bk.PNG

#603     Jul 16, 2019
    billb2112 likes this.
  4. Just to check that I'm tracking here: BK's current IV%/IVR is 90/60 - but it's pretty much irrelevant because it's not going to drop until well after, so going long/long vol is essentially a pure delta play. Right?

#604     Jul 16, 2019
  5. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Just waiting on BAC short 27/29 29/31 Iron Condor
    fills.PNG

Edit in avg .81 BAC

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
    #605     Jul 16, 2019
    Magic likes this.
  6. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

IV% = IV percentile? I never use those numbers. Those numbers take into consideration non event vol. I am not to sure what you mean by delta bet. It is a vol bet. I bot the straddle so either a large move up or a large move down will benefit the position. Does that make sense?

My UAL trade is a delta and vol bet

#606     Jul 16, 2019
  7. Absolutely - thanks. "Delta bet" is basically my shorthand for "large move up or down".

Got it.

#607     Jul 16, 2019
  8. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Gotcha, we call that a vol bet over here. Delta is when you have a directional assumption. LMK if you place any trades. GL

#608     Jul 16, 2019
    BlueWaterSailor likes this.
  9. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

I hope no one shorted vol in CSX this one hurt

#609     Jul 16, 2019
  10. destriero

destriero

Delta bet typically refers to one direction. A large up/down move in vol would refer to a "gamma bet"

#610     Jul 16, 2019