Earnings journal

Discussion in 'Journals' started by TheBigShort, Jan 13, 2019.

1. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

my desktop is good, however I am having problems on mobil

#51     Jan 17, 2019
  2. srinir

srinir

I am fine on all platforms

#52     Jan 17, 2019
  3. destriero

destriero

Yeah, it's an IB issue. TDA OK; others as well.

#53     Jan 17, 2019
  4. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Hey guys, found something quite cool. If you model Abs.Jump ~ Excess Vol, you get some pretty interesting results. Excess vol = 10 day vol of asset before earnings - 10 vol of industry etf.
    Here is the regression.
    excess.vol.JPG

However once you incorporate historical skew and revenue dispersion into the model you get an R^2 of .41!!. This is on VFC. The full estimator has a expected move of $3.8 for VFC (options priced reasonably)

#54     Jan 17, 2019
  5. Bekim

Bekim

So you holding everything through earnings? I’ve never been consistently profitable with through ER trades but I haven’t put that much effort in to it either. Will you post you win rate at some point in time?

#55     Jan 20, 2019
  6. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

My win rate has been really high since the journal inception. Only losing on 2 MS positions. However those were my biggest positions and because of that my account has entered the red. Maybe you would be more interrested in overall portfolio prformance. What was your strategy holding through earnings?

#56     Jan 20, 2019
  7. sle

sle

How are you sizing it, based on the expected return or based on liquidity?

#57     Jan 20, 2019
  8. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Based on MktCap(but I guess this would be the same as liquidity) and Expected value of trade (implied move - predicted move)/implied move. Max position size is total risk < 5% of account and min position size, max risk > 1% of account. Max risk calculated as debit on flys and debit on straddles.

This could defiantly be approved upon but it seems to have been working for me over the past few months.

#58     Jan 20, 2019
    Adam777 likes this.
  9. srinir

srinir

Win rate doesn't tell you much. During last qtr few long straddle wins overcame lots of small losses

#59     Jan 20, 2019
  10. TheBigShort

TheBigShort

Here is my earnings portfolio since I started the journal.
    ib.PNG

#60     Jan 20, 2019