Earnings Implied move

Discussion in 'Options' started by SillyWilly, May 1, 2018.

1. Hey everyone, so I found something interesting that is not making much sense and hope if you can clarify it. Expected 1 day move is = IV*sqrt(1/365)*Stock Price. On liquid stocks this calculation works beautifully. But on illiquid stocks, things get funky. Let's look at CXO, earnings are after the bell. The expected 1 day move is 5.67. BUT the IV for the straddle is 32%.... so we have .32*sqrt(1/365)*155.50 = 2.60. Obviosuly the market will not give me free bees. So WTF

2. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

(In anticipation of your figuring it out, I'm going to write:.......)

Congratulations! on figuring it out.

:wtf::rolleyes: :D :thumbsup::thumbsup:

3. LOL I figured it out! The market move is rubbish for illiquid stocks!! :D

4. Actually tho, would you mind clarifying this for me? I can't figure it out

5. srinir

srinir

You are comparing two different things. One day expected move is different than straddle price based on 18 days

tommcginnis likes this.
  6. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

An eyeballed mistake on my part:
    The traditional formula uses 1/365 for time, but in practice, I've seen (and used) 1/252, and *generally* gotten better results.

The results here would be about 3.03 against your computed 2.60 -- a 20%+ difference.
    But that won't get anybody to 5.67.....

But, having an equation and one unknown.....
    But I can't: it's 2pm, and I have a lot of work before 3pm.
    FOMC tomorrow means I have no overnight available......

7. The straddle is 8.90 mid. After earnings the vol usually drops to ~27% meaning the straddle will be worth ~ 7.40....8.90 - 7.40 = 1.50 expected move tomorrow. No where near 5.7. Even if it dropped to 20% vol which it never has in the past 4 earnings, the straddle would be ~5.8. Meaning a 3.10 move tomorrow. If I look at my bloomberg screen it tells me that the average move over the last 8 quarters is 3.8% which would be equivalent to a 5.89 move. So this straddle is trading dirt cheap. Srinir can you look into this and correct me if I am wrong. It's a profitable play if I am right. Thanks

8. Goodluck tomorrow

9. srinir

srinir

10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Oh, we've risen ~1% since then: I'm back in my HappyLand....... :)

#10     May 1, 2018
    vanzandt likes this.