Early retirement or work till you die?

Discussion in 'Trading' started by Optional, Apr 10, 2011.

1. exactly. i do things i want to do. last couple years i built my own custom home in a nice retirement area. right now i am restoring several collector muscle cars that i dreamed about as a kid but never could afford.

#21     Apr 11, 2011
  2. DHOHHI

DHOHHI

Life is a journey. Some people are secure in doing what they know they do well and may want to do it forever so that they feel productive. I left a corporate job 15 years ago, took a risk with trading, although I was well prepared with a business plan etc. Trading has given me the freedom to structure my days as I please. I can trade as much or as little as I choose. Not many people have the luxury of choosing what to do every day of their lives. And being somewhat successful with trading has opened more doors. I have volunteered at local schools the past 10 years; currently working 3 mornings/week tutoring kids in math in a high poverty school. You can't put a price tag on the satisfaction you derive from giving back to your community.

#22     Apr 11, 2011
  3. =================
    Good points,good /going.Another reason to ''do something'';
    generally speaking, your brain /body tends to get ''broke'' from doing nothing. Reguardless of inflation rate,10%+/.:cool:

Thats why so many people die quickly , have heart /health problems when they retire[full time] in to a lazy boy easy chair. Reguardless of inflation rate of 10% +/.

:cool:

Agree partly, work is like coffee, it's helpful & habit forming. Dr. Cherry did note 2 cups a day of coffee is helpful.

So while I agree with the idea coffee & work are helpful & habbit forming;
    simple stats show the medical penaltys for stopping work are much more severe than stopping drinking coffee.

:D Most men[average] are not socially skilled ;
    not compared to an average woman.:cool:

#23     Apr 11, 2011
  4. olias

olias

I like what you said, but I would counter that play is 'real life'. Work takes us out of real living, for the most part. It depends on what you do of course

#24     Apr 11, 2011
  5. fanews

fanews

majority of people in the workforce work in jobs to pay bills and would retire immediately if they won a lottery and spend more time on hobby.

only reason the gov't or corporation wants to extend retirement to 65 to 70 is people are living longer and the pension system cannot absorb the liabilities.

another reason for the high unemployment, is older senior jobs, people are not retiring so few job openings.

most new jobs will be from people retiring if there is no growth in the economy.

it's in the --plum jobs-- like ceo, board directors, judge etc that people don't want retire.

ask that question to a roofer or carpenter or someone working in construction lifting 100 pound boxes.? or ask that to prop trader scalping for pennies barely making living scalping ticks.

QUOTE]Quote from Optional:

I have an old friend, a mentor, who tells me that he has no intention of retiring ever. He will work until he drops dead. He feels that he needs to continue to contribute and generate wealth (he runs a small fund).

Personally - I want to stop WORKING as soon as possible. I've beern in the biz for 12 years or so and am about 5 years from early retirement in my early 40s.

Why do some people feel the need to 'never' retire. What drives people who are well-financially secure to keep working? Is working an addiction like alcohol or drugs? Do workaholics have poor family and social lives?
    I know some peopke don't feel like their jobs are work but I can't understand how some people would never retire.

Btw, when I say retire, I mean leave a longtime business or venture to relax and of course at some point try something new, though not for financial necessity.
    [/QUOTE]

#25     Apr 11, 2011
  6. A good plan, problem is though, what if he gets just sick enough where he is unable to work even part time. People have strokes, heart problems, concentration, energy, stamina issues.

While it is a lofty goal to work till you drop dead, hope you don't need to.

On the flip side, accomplishing something, anything, after we retire is important.

I think when you're working it is really hard to see the other "side" of life that doesn't include work. Everyone asks, 'What's your plan when you retire?"

Nosy, jealous bastards.:cool:

#26     Apr 11, 2011
  7. Why do some people feel the need to 'never' retire. What drives people who are well-financially secure to keep working?

I have no idea. There are the lucky few that so enjoy their work that they are doing what they want to do. I view retirement as simply doing what you want to do, so for these people they don't need a change. I think a lot of people that are slow to retire are afraid of change or the unknown. All the people that I know that retired are thrilled with the decision and many are having a blast in retirement. I'm still working a regular job and I won't do it a day longer than I have to. That's what led me to trading. It's a way I can earn income in my spare time and it's something that I like to do.

#27     Apr 11, 2011
  8. I don't agree with that - I often hear of people dying just days or weeks before retiring, so obviously they weren't "lazy" yet. Also, for example in my case, I have a job where I can sit in a chair all day (for the most part), but if I was retired and was still young enough, I would do alot of running, ice skating, maybe bike riding and some other active stuff. Your job can kill you and retiring just might save your life.

#28     Apr 11, 2011
  9. I agree with you - I think alot of people who don't retire because they say they "love their job" are largely fooling themselves. They might very well enjoy most aspects of it, but how many people like every part of their work? They are often afraid of change and the inability to go back if they need to.

#29     Apr 11, 2011
  10. Some great and thoughtful responses here!

#30     Apr 11, 2011