E-Trade

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by krazykarl, Nov 12, 2007.

1. viper1101

viper1101

If you're really worried and aren't trading currently, get your money out. It's a lot less hassle if they go down, even if it is insured. At least until we know what is going to happen to them.

#11     Nov 12, 2007
  2. I don't give a damn if its FDIC insured or not. I withdrew the $6,000 I had there as soon as this news broke out. What kind of idiot leaves his money in a bank knowing full well it could go bankrupt. There are far too many banks out there with far less risk than E-Trade.

#12     Nov 12, 2007
  3. GTC

GTC

If you have a short position of a company lie E-trade, and if it indeed goes bankrupt after a while, how can you buy-to-cover to realize the profit from that short position?

#13     Nov 12, 2007
  4. You don't need to buy it back. You sold it, the cash went to your account, and you don't have to buy it back.

#14     Nov 12, 2007
  5. FDIC doesn't cover stocks. If you are in doubt, request to take delivery of your stock certificates, or move your account. I don't know how it works these days, but in the 70's a friend said his broker went BK. His stock shares were held "In Street Name". He finally got a few cents on the dollar years later after the lawsuit settled.

#15     Nov 12, 2007
  6. Makes it pretty difficult to trade, LOL.

#16     Nov 12, 2007
  7. I wonder how do you took the money if today was a bank holiday on the US and e-trade didn't make any wire or ach transfer.

#17     Nov 12, 2007
  8. He got an IOU

#18     Nov 13, 2007
  9. SIPC only covers your holdings up to 500k, of which it will only cover 100k that you have in cash that's bearing interest.

In other words, any money in excess of 100k that's not invested in equities IS NOT COVERED in the event of a bankruptcy or other involuntary liquidation by a brokerage firm.

#19     Nov 13, 2007
  10. OK, you're stuck in your car in a traffic jam. Suddenly you spot an 18-wheeler coming straight at you full speed in the oncoming traffic. You
    a/ stay in your car, 'cause its insured
    b/ stay in your car, 'cause the driver must surely know what he's doing, and he surely has no intention of crashing or killing you
    c/ get out and run for cover

I wouldn't close the account, but sure as hell I would move all the money out...

#20     Nov 13, 2007