E*trade account zeroed due to "escheatment", any way to recover ?

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by Bugenhagen, Jul 12, 2022.

1. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

I have an E*trade stock account since the 1990s and it's had a little under $1000 in cash sitting in it since around 2015. I was focused on other brokerage accounts.

I would not mind but I'm confident I logged in less than five years ago which seems to be the trigger to give the money to the state. They had my email address and I'd been receiving normal messages saying my statement was available etc.

I never received an inactivity warning advisory by mail either, the old family address in Europe where mail statements went has never received any warning the account would be claimed by Delaware as abandoned money.

Today I see there was a withdrawal that zeroed it:

REMITTANCE FOR DE ESCHEATMENT 2022
    02/16/22 Withdrawal EXTND INS SWEEP ACCT(FDIC-INS)

Is there any way to request my money back from the state? Its not a big deal just I'm surprised I was not alerted and nearly a grand is nearly a grand, worth seeing if it is retrievable.

I called E*trade but after two hours on hold had to give up, I'll try again tomorrow.

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

MoreLeverage and Bugenhagen like this.
  3. zdreg

zdreg

It is impressive what one can learn on ET about brokerage firms.

4. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

5. %%
    I would send them a registered letter asking for it\ then noet you may sue those crooked cr*p shooters in small claims court. ETrade charged me for their toll free telephone numbers when i checked stock price quotes. good thing i check my brokerage statements+ moved my account from those crooked cr*p shooters. Rev Ben Haden said nothing lower than a crooked cr*p shooter = admitted he used to be one.
    Plan c\last resort is tell the SEC.
    SCHW requires any error to be noted in 10 days, not 5 years...................

Bugenhagen likes this.
  6. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

I've been trying off and on since October 2021 when they were being taken over by Morgan Stanley to get in but the password was not working and there was a notice to say I had to call support to reset it.

Four times I rang before today when I had a spare moment, every time told the queue was "over 30 minutes" with no further updates on postion. I checked my Skype-out and Call 1 was 1 hour before I had to abandon, Call 2 three full hours, Call 3 an hour, fourth and hour and a half. Today by a miracle only about 15 minutes.

The password I had was correct all the time as well.

murray t turtle likes this.
  7. hilmy83

hilmy83

this is why i always just post issues with my broker, so i can get insights into issues like this from time to time

engineering likes this.
  8. Yeah I have a decent amount sitting doing nothing and the bank manager called me and made me aware of this rule. Said I just need to keep logging in. So I log in once every few months.

Bugenhagen likes this.
  9. Bugenhagen

Bugenhagen

Indeed, I had logged in at maximum three years before. I expect something went wrong during the Morgan Stanley takeover, hard to say. I'll try and phone them later today.

10. Sprout

Sprout

Well, you're not dead, that should help.

#10     Jul 13, 2022