E-signal

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by Girlpower, Dec 31, 2002.

1. I understand this point as well, which is why I said I would be happy even if they didn't provide tech support for SDK users.

#21     Jan 2, 2003
  2. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Hi All,

I just wanted to expand a bit on the topic of providing the API. First, what has been said about support is true. We are not set-up to handle support & can't just put something of this magnitude out without supporting it. There's also the potential for serious adverse effects to our servers by releasing this to all clients. Thus it becomes critical that we have the support level in-house to work with all that would have it. Then there's the liabilities with the Exchange's should there be fraudulent uses.

I could list several more reasons, but these are some of the biggest hurdles we would have to overcome before we could release this to all. One of the reasons for including the EFS scripting language is to compensate for this and for the majority of clients, the ability to program their indicators was really all they needed.

Things change and so could this policy, but for now there's no pending policy change. I appreciate the dialog on this and think that with the EFS formula engine, it will offset the need for an API.

Regards,
    Andy S.
    eSignal Support

#22     Jan 2, 2003
  3. Sure you can. :) Just as long as you state up front that it is unsupported.

I understand what you are saying, but doesn't the API require us to go through the TurboFeed DataManager? Doesn't it (or it easily could) limit the types of behaviors that could adversely affect your servers. Such as limiting the number of socket connections, requests, etc. You already have in place limits on symbol counts, etc. So this doesn't seem like a really good argument, as you appear to have a method of limiting harm.

Simply have SDK users sign a legal agreement. Plus you already ship a DDE server that could be used to disseminate quotes, so you don't seem to worried about that or you are already covered in the legal agreement all users sign when they join eSignal in the first place.

EFS is great. But some of us want something else. :)

It doesn't eliminate the need for me.

Thanks for your response. I look forward to eSignal changing their policy.

#23     Jan 2, 2003
  4. The EFS scripting is fine - if it were properly and fully documented. But it has limitations in the system that preclude a number of our projects getting off the drawing board.... (We've already got that covered using other feeds anyway, so not a big issue for us...)

Also, The better the documentation, the fewer the enquiries becasue it is all there in black a white to simply look up and source. We would certainly find the formula language a powerful tool with the proper documentation. The limitation for us is not a lack of ability to program, or a lack of understanding of Java. Sure, there are examples included, but they are very basic and only scratch the surface of what is possible with a little imagination.

Natalie

#24     Jan 2, 2003
  5. tntneo

tntneo Moderator

I remember the API killed the servers at QCharts.
    Don't let this happen with eSignal please.

As far as I know 2 dozens software companies are listed on eSignal's website using the data API. So if you are serious about it, have a business plan etc you can still ask for the API formally.

EFS is very powerful. With the DLL support, it's very easy to support missing functionality.
    It's possible to build real automated systems based on eSignal, no problem.

Some basic things are still missing, and I hope they will come soon (like the ability to get bid/ask info for example within an EFS running on a chart).

Documentation is a bit lacking I agree. Still, I prefer to get the program and have to ask for details instead of waiting 6 months more for new features or improvement in stability and reliability (it is very reliable and stable right now).

if you did not yet, join the beta program, join the forum and ask questions around, at esignalcentral.

but please, don't cripple your servers by letting everyone querying tick data for 6 months on 500 symbols etc.. I still remember when QChart used to be so fantastic. and then when we had to use the development data servers because the 'public' servers were so slow and lagging. I still remember the waves of customers asking here where to switch to.
    (I hear from faithful qcharts users that it ain't that bad anymore.. but I can't confirm it).

We have here eSignal and Realtick : they are solid.

#25     Jan 2, 2003
  6. eSignal's DataManager "traffic cop" would deny such a request before it ever reached the servers. No harm done. An API doesn't automatically equal death to servers. A well written API with safeguards is no worse than running the vendor's own application.

And, RealTick has a free, publicly available API. Thanks for pointing that out. :)

#26     Jan 3, 2003
  7. the good news is that as long as you just want the real-time quotes, it's fairly straightforward to get them through the DDE server.

I've compared DDE T&S events what MetaStocks receives, and DDE seems to deliver all quotes.

If you want your own SM, L2, or historical quotes, obviously DDE is not good enough.

#27     Jan 3, 2003
  8. The readers of this thread may want to take a quick look at

http://www.interactivebrokers.com/discus/messages/5501/5501.html?1041714993

listing some of the tools so called "newbie" (meaning non-corporate) developers are offering using the API IB publishes. And based on their popularity, it seems to bring new customers to IB.

And IB's servers still seem to be running with at least the speed of ESignal (although true there is no historical data provided).

Yes, providing EFS did increase the value of the new ESignal, and offering even further access (the API) to your users (and not only to so called corporate users) also would do so.

Thank you for taking the time commenting on this.

#28     Jan 4, 2003
  9. I dont understand the symbol limit, why is there
    a limit? Why should i have to pay extra for more
    symbols? Every now i then it says i have gone over
    the daily limit, and will not bring up a daily chart??

I used another software program recently in demo
    mode, and they have a Market Direction chart which
    shows stocks, trending up or down by green or red bars
    I found it very helpfull for new trades and like the visual apect
    of it also, easy to read, etc, i know alot of traders that use
    there software just because of this feature.

Does esignal plan on offering something like that in the
    future? I think it would be an additional benefit to the
    software and u should develop it. Would even pay extra
    fee for it.

Thanks,

Pat

#29     Jan 4, 2003
  10. On Firday 1/03/03 in the afternoon i had trouble with
    my 1 min chart updating in real time. Switched to 5 min
    chart and that did not work also?

This happens every now and then, i am using windows
    XP, and have new computer with plenty of memory and
    speed, etc...

Contacted live tech supt, and they said reboot computer, which
    fixed the problem., but how can i avoid this?

Thanks Again,

Pat

#30     Jan 4, 2003