e-signal SLOW charts

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by TonySanDiego, Dec 9, 2002.

1. I have problems at both ends of the day. Every day, regardless of ticker symbol, timeframe or chart. Daily to 1-minute - same old story.

eSignal themselves have no problems so it has to lie in the pipeline between them and our machines.

More data occur in the first and last half hours of the day and this is precisely when the problems occur.

Is there a way to maybe filter some data during the busy periods so we can get charts on demand instead of minutes to never?

Also if I shoudl restart esignal during the busy times all my charts remain blank except for the last bar printed. Good luck when that happens as the only way out is to wait until 10:15 or so.

#51     Dec 16, 2002
  2. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

Miami

If for some reason we are experiencing high wait times in Technical Support, please try our LiveRep service ( available under the Customer Support menu in eSignal ). We'll be able to look your account up and see your connection history. If the problem is related to a specific server, we should be able to pinpoint it.

I should also point out that when we test, we can actually direct connect to any of our server farms. For example, we'll connect directly to a specific server in NY, forcing the data to travel all the way back to Calif. This lets us test both that server and general internet connectivity between NY and CA. What we can't test for is the route taken by the customer's ISP. That's one reason testing can be somewhat challenging.

There's certainly no inherent reason you should have problems pulling up charts, regardless of the time of the day. There is something causing the problem, whether it's on our end, in the user's environment or somewhere in between ( ISP ), we should be able to resolve with troubleshooting.

Thanks

#52     Dec 16, 2002
  3. Scott

I just did a tracert to 208.240.76.1

Right now at 3:40ET I'm getting slower daily charts than an hour before.

Results of the tracert attached - no missed hops or larger-then-normal times. :confused:

#53     Dec 16, 2002
  4. I appreciate your effort for looking into this matter with charts pulling up slow, but do not keep blaming the ISP or one of the many other routers on the net being slow. If this was the case my intraday charts would be slow too and so would all other data in the eSignal application. That is not the case the intraday data is very fast, so you can't blame the ISP or general slowness on the net.

Second point, I am a paying customer and I expect a reliable product, it is not part of my business to spend hour after hour with eSignal tech support. Maybe I can bill eSignal for all my wasted time trying to get this product to work.

I am not trying to bash this product. In fact I am very happy with the way most of the eSignal application works, but this slowness with the daily charts must be fixed by the people who are being paid to do that job.

#54     Dec 16, 2002
  5. Did any of you who are experiencing slowness with E-signal try using the feed to run Ensign, and see if it's software, or feed-based? They have a 1 week free trial.

Just an idea...

#55     Dec 16, 2002
  6. and think it is a great product. Yes, occasionally daily charts do not load, but the quotes and intraday charts run perfectly. Let me just say customer service is outstanding, Scott Johnson is always there to help, and on-line tech support is always great. (I never try to call for tech support).

I do think the daily charts not loading is a problem with ESignal servers, since so many of us have that problem, though. It is definately not on our end........

PT

#56     Dec 16, 2002
  7. eSignal Support

eSignal Support eSignal

OK, we now have layouts from two users here who are experiencing a problem pulling-up daily charts during peak market times. We'll test during market open the next couple of days and try to reproduce. Next, we may arrange to call a few users and compare experiences ( use identical layouts, connect to the same servers, etc ) and see what that reveals.

Hopefully, we'll be able to reproduce and isolate the cause(s).

Thanks

P.S. PokerTrader - thanks for the kudos.

#57     Dec 16, 2002
  8. pokertrader1, I agree with your last post, it is a server issue on eSignals end.

I have been so frustrated with the slow loading of daily charts that I felt compelled to express my opinion here. I have had this problem since I started using eSignal 6 months ago.

I also very much appreciate how eSignal monitors these boards and responds to the feedback. Not to many companies put in that kind of effort. I hope you guys at eSignal tech support can fix this problem

#58     Dec 16, 2002
  9. I'd also like to throw in my 2c about the guys on this (and esignalcentral's) board. I'm very appreciative of all the help Scott, Andy & Chuck are providing.

Yes it's a nuisance to have software problems but at least they're helping out. With some firms, many in fact - best of luck getting an answer from the company.

A fellow trader of mine is trying to save a few bucks by using Medved with IB's free datafeed, is having all sorts of futures charting problems and has e-mailed them every day for 2 weeks - not a single answer yet.

You get what you pay for.

#59     Dec 16, 2002
  10. Brodie

Brodie

I have only been using esignal for 2 months now as a newbie trader. I use as a feed for tradestation with OnDemand Server which is working very well. I do think this datafeed is a little on the expensive side for someone living outside US and paying in Australian Dollars. The time difference also makes it difficult to get full value out of this product. I think if you are using your own platform, u should not have to pay for theirs..which..btw is behaving exactly as those in this forum have indicated....very sloppy.

Any other reasonably priced feeds which could be an alternative to esignal ..please respond.

Thanks

Good Trading

#60     Dec 16, 2002